Tags:
  1. UnknowingWriter

UnknowingWriter New Member

My Plot may be a little to much...........

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by UnknowingWriter, Feb 22, 2008.

Alright. Been awhile since I have been here, but since my last time, I have strengthened my plot, maybe a little to much.

So, I have my original plot, I'll explain in 1 sentence:

A boy saves the kingdom from oblivion.

From there I got this:

1) Different Races: Skarlac, Dwarves, elves, Humans, Dragons, and Faress and Graskish.

2) Magic is accepted and commonly used, so much that most people are born with a special ability, from telekinesis, to trans location, mind control to summoning.

3) Four main religions: Elemental (6 Elements that Created the World) Humanoid-Elemental (6 Gods that created the world, their power is the elements) Dragonkin Worship (Worship to the Dragons, thought to be extinct) Shadow Cult (Worships the Antagonist, Become big plot thing)

4)War for 3000 years, originally started from Humans vs Skarlac...then into Dwarves+Humans+Elves vs Skarlac+Faress+Graskish.

5)Six Artifacts Crafted by the Six different dragon flights. Each one has different powers, but when combined make the wearer the king of all dragons, the most powerful person/thing in the land. Also, each one has the ability to turn the user into a different half-Animal form. (Spider, Dragon, Wolf, Lion, Falcon and Snake. These turn some qualities of that animal to be imbued with the user)

6) Dragons can morph into human/elf forms, and that is how some have managed to survived the onslaught against them in the Dragon Wars almost 5000 years before.

7)Main Antagonist has 16 buddies that make the Shadow Cult,they are semi-human(They look like them) but have amazing powers, far beyond the grasp of any human, caused by something explained in the 2nd book.

8) Main Protagonist starts human but goes...immortal lets say. ( No no on the elf transformation)

EDIT: Fixed the spelling mistakes...mainly originally.

2. Cessan

Cessan New Member

I am not sure but that other stuff you mentioned just seems like background information to me like it is setting up the whole plot nothing more. Seems fine to me.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'saves from the brink of oblivion' makes no sense... 'saves from oblivion' would...

4. Phaiyle

Phaiyle New Member

I agree, its definitely back ground info. Yes there are points that is plot but thats all things about the world the plot occurs in. I like all of it by the way... :-D

5. -NM-

-NM- Active Member

I'd agree, that's not really plot, it's just background information. And it's an acceptable amount, of course it depends on how long your story is going to be. eg. it may be a little much if it's just a one off book, but if it's going to be a trilogy or a cycle, etc.. then you might want to expand a bit more.

But yeah, it's not a plot really. Plot would be the actual storyline, this is just background. ;-)

6. Sophronia

Sophronia New Member

I feel inclined to point out that, even though these are good points to support the plot and the background of the story, it doesn't seem to explain how the boy saves the kingdom from oblivion. Do you have a plan for how the boy will achieve this goal? (of course, if you don't want to give spoilers or anything I completely understand ;))

Other than that, love the background and details of all the things in this story.

7. UnknowingWriter

True, it really isn't a Plot line, and yes, it will be more than one book.

Few things he does to save the world:
    1) Untie the Factions against 1 Common Enemy
    2) Destory the Shadow Cult which is doing something
    3) Kill the man who started the entire thing. Mind you he isn't really named until the last books, but he is in all of them, either by mentioning or actually being there.

Fun eh?

8. pegasi_quill

pegasi_quill New Member

Flat. Currently by the window. Staring out, in f
    Um, make sure you don't go too Eragon-y.

Yeah, that stuff is background info, and OK, so there's a lot of it, but nothing the reader can't get accustomed to if you present it appropiately. You should be good.

9. UnknowingWriter

I hate Christopher Paolini, and his books. So no, I won't go all Eragon-y on you.

10. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

sounds exceptional, i'm sincerely intrigued. Publish it already so i can buy it. :D

11. nburwell

nburwell New Member

It sounds like it's trying to hard to be The Lord of the Rings. It seems like you took that base and stuffed it with lots of other characters and elements to try and hide the fact that it was a Lord of the Rings base. I'm not saying that's what you did, that's just how it came off. It's much too similar to Lord of the Rings for me. It's like you're trying to copy it. I'm not trying to offend you.

~Natalie

12. Klee

Klee New Member

Sounds a bit Eragon-y to me too. Maybe cut back a bit from so many details? Think about what's really important for the story, IMO six races is a bit too much for a single book (although you're probably thinking on a trilogy but still).

Anyway, I don't mean to insult you but is there anything else different from other "boy saves the world/defeat the evil lord" stories?

13. UnknowingWriter

True, Let me write out the actually plot summary.....may take awhile, changed many things however. Also, I'm making it into 8 main books, with a Prequel Trilogy that will hopefully be made after the last book.

And your question about plots? That's easy. Your looking at the people on this forum, and some others most likely, but in true scope, there are only a few that are like this one. besides I've reflected on what you all have said, and change it greatly.

One last thing, I also see that you think that it is a LotR base. Where did you get that idea? the fact that there is swords and magic? Elves? Dwarves?

There are tons of books with these races. I have my own however. Besides, the elves in my story aren't hippy, they eat meat and like fine arts, but they also love to fight and wage war.