1. vampire_dua

vampire_dua New Member

Do horror writers mostly get rejected?

Discussion in 'Horror' started by vampire_dua, Jun 24, 2008.

I don't mean like Stephen King or something, I mean more like dark writers. For example, I write a vampire novel. It isn't about immortal vampires, but about regular vampires or blood fetishists who drink blood because they crave it. Some people think it's sort of weird, when they read the part where I describe the feeling after drinking blood. Here is an excerpt. Please tell me if you're interested or if it were weird......

<excerpt removed - may only be posted in Review Room forums for comment>

Thanks in advance

2. Milady

Milady Active Member

In today's world, anything can get published. My suggestion is to post a larger excerpt in the review room for a more detailed analysis.

I will say, however, that the selection you gave us was a little...passive. But then again, the point of it was to show the character's reaction to the blood. Because I don't know the character or his circumstances, I can't relate. My point being, give us a larger section with more meat on it, in the review room, and we can talk.

As for the horror value of it? I've read worse. Worse had been published. Don't worry about it.

EDIT: I just noticed you've posted an excerpt already. Sorry! Kay, I'll get around to that eventually.

3. MumblingSage

MumblingSage New Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    Everybody mostly gets rejected.

...she said cryptically. What I mean is, rejections are more common than acceptances in general, but preserverance will lead to acceptance eventually--you have to believe that.

That said, your story would probably benefit from some polishing to give it a better chance. Your first paragraph seems choppy timewise. I can't be sure how long it's taking, how long the hesitation lasted, etc. I feel sort of like I'm freefalling in time and space.

'Violets are Blue' by James Patterson dealt with 'real-life' vampires and got published. Granted, he was well-known by then and they weren't the stars of the show, but that should still give you hope.

4. vampire_dua

vampire_dua New Member

Thanks Milady. Yea lol I did post the first two pages in the novel section, but no one commented *sad face*. Yea I know there is worse (and thank god for that lol), but I mean the blood thing. People usually avoid blood fetishists. I'm afraid that maybe they'll hate Julian even before they meet him.
    Yes I know it's sort of passive. He craves for blood. And now as his mother is dead(the only one that held him back from drinking), he started drinking. But again, thanks, I'll work on his attitude towards blood some more.

Thanks MumblingSage. I hope it really gets accepted as time passes. That wasn't the first paragraph in the novel. After those paragraphs I just wrote, I'll describe the place and time and the background of his cravings. Soon , I'll post that part. but thanks, you made me feel a lot better.

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Vampire Dua,

While there are occasionally writers whose work gets accepted the first time out, that is quite rare. Sometimes it takes getting several novels under their belt before their work is of a high enough quality (or at least viewed as such by agent/editors) to reach publication. Many writers never succeed in finding a publisher for their work.

There is the debate of what is good writing, and especially when it comes different topics, such as discussed in the type of vampire novel planned.

The only thing (well not the only thing ;) ) you can do is write your novel the best you can and submit...and while waiting/submitting, write another.

Good luck.

Terry

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

MumblingSage Hit the nail on the nail on the head.

Just don't fear rejection... you'll get there in the end, if you really want it, don't stop working on your story and keep trying. Many writers had to try many times to get puplished. One I remeber, though forgot the name, had to marry the editor to get her novel puplished. Even try a few times to the same puplisher... it's a lot like getting a job really, Just keep trying!

P.S. I just realised... It is exactly like getting a job... it IS getting a job. ;)

7. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I really liked that excerpt, I could picture it perfectly. Didn't seem 'weird' at all, while it was rather interesting.

8. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

Indeed it was very catchy and interesting. I don't think publishers reject certain genres, if that happened than there would'nt be many sections in your bookstore now would there? :p

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

they get mostly rejected when they don't send it to publishers who do horror...

if they select the places they submit to with some sense, they face the same odds as any other kind of writer...