?

If you had a blog (on our site), would you use it?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Unsure

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

About blogs - once again, I need your feedback

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Daniel, Jul 31, 2007.

Okay, some of you may recall I asked you for some style suggestions a few weeks back - this alternative style is still in the works, but I'd like your feedback on something else: blogs.

The software company that this forum is run on is currently creating an add-on that allows each user to have an individual blog.

Now, the catch is this: it's going to cost me a pretty penny, and to be honest, I don't want to purchase this feature unless it's going to be used.

So I ask you this: should we get blogs?

2. Daniel

Added a poll.

3. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I don't believe you should get the blog feature. You probably already spend enough on the site as is, and there are other ways members can acquire a blog if desired (LiveJournal, Blogger, et cetera).

Though you should use my idea to make the forum monochromatic blues.

4. Daniel

Say that cost isn't an issue - do you still think it's a bad idea?

5. adamant

I don't it would be best to invest in it. There are only about a dozen or so members that have stayed here for a long time and are really active. Also, I believe that anything we really want to say can be said in either threads, private messaging, or some form of contact outside of the forums. When valuable information is posted on the forum, I feel that there is also a better chance of more people seeing it as well. As previously mentioned, there are plenty of blogging sites. If you really wanted to start a blogging community, how about adopting a site for the forum and creating a group?

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Adamant is right. If there was no cost involved and you did it, only a small percentage would use it. It's honestly better to not waste the money, and perhaps provide a spot on the profile where members can link to an external blog. Well, that's my opinion at least.

7. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

what is a blog like?

8. Sayso

Sayso New Member

Heather, I use a blog site as a sort of open diary. You can put in any information you like for others to read. It's like having your own web site. It can be a good way of making friends but can also lead to tears. It's a bit of fun really, for me that is.

As for linking one to here, I'd say no. There are so many blog sites out there and you already have enough on your plate with all you have here. If people want to read blog then I think that they'll go looking for it. Also, a lot of folks don't like it so may not want it thrust in their faces.

I do have this site linked to my blog though if that helps.

9. Heather Louise

oww cool. on another writing site i use they have a blog section, which a couple of the members use. i cannot really say just how effective it is as the site is little anyways. it is a good idea i think, but if it costs and that then i'd say just leave it for now. :)
    Heather

10. Daniel

I'm kinda surprised you guys don't really want it. hmmm... Anyone else have thoughts?

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are plenty of blogs on the net. I don't see the point of adding one to this site.

We already have a fine way of communicating our thoughts as writers.

12. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I would personally love having a blog! This is a writing site, right? I understand we have many blogging sites out there, but then again: we have many writing forums and critique groups on web. Having your own blog here would have three main advantages: 1) When we'll write knowing we're writing here, we're write in a way which can be connective to the members here. 2)People might visit wf.org because of these blogs and our member percentage might increase. 3) The need of having your writer personality here and writing as much as possible is achievable through blogging.

Then again, majority is the authority.

13. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I am not too sure myself if it would be a good idea or not. But when you think hard about it, to create a forum and have it successfully gain interest from members all the time, you need to offer something that no other forum offers.
    I have seen forums offer comments that appear on your user profile, friend lists that everyone can view and also a list that shows you who has viewed your profile.
    This is a rather large forum though. But it offers little things that no other forum I have joined offers and that is what members look for. Something other forum do not have.
    Maybe the blogs would be good, maybe they would be bad. I don’t know, I have never used a blog before so I wouldn’t really know.
    But I think that the forum does need something new and fresh for the members personally. I know it isn’t easy to think of new features to add to a forum to interest all members, but saying it is a bad idea because there are blog sites out there already is just silly. It is a bit like saying to Lpspider delete your forum cause there are other forums out there. (I don’t mean any offence by that)
    But yeah that is my view on this topic anyways.
    We need to offer something different to potential and existing members.

14. Daniel

Personally, those were similar to my thoughts. I mean, while there are many blogging sites on the net, very few of these blogging sites will actually have the same members we have hear and with the option to connect so easily.

I'm not sure about #2 and #3, but they're good thoughts.

The blog could be a personal blog, a blog about writing, a blog posting your stories - whatever you want, really.

I'm still entirely open to feedback. :p

15. adamant

Why don't you try and get people to join a group on another blogging site, and see how successful that is? If people like that element, then maybe you can get one of your own.

I realize that some feel as though if you don't want blogs because of the myriad of other others, why is it any different with the forum. The thing is, we came here because of the forum and its atmosphere -- a unique trait -- and a including a blog doesn't do much for us (and if we came looking for a blog, it would be the opposite). We can say just about anything we want to each other with what we currently have. Also, those of you that would want to venture into others' lives on this forum more-than-likely already talk to those specific persons through other means.

16. Edward

Edward Active Member

An offsite blog group would be best if you ask me

I can think of a few good reasons for having site run blogs, but I can also think of reasons they'd just be redundant (the oft mentioned "they're everywhere" mainly) I think the best solution (especially for your wallet) would be to have an external blog site set up into a user group or whateverthey'recalled.

I think the best way to use blogs (beyond the usual crying about life and pouring out secret thoughts or whatever people do with diaries) is to use them like in a Middle School marble composition book, where the mods give out a writing prompt every day. Without the horrible grades you'd get if you didn't do it.:p

17. Heather Louise

i would quite like to see a blog put on here, but i would hate to see it not being used and a waste of money. but yea, think i would use it if it was put on. :)
    Heather

18. Daniel

Slit pretty evenly, eh? hmm...

19. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I don't really have much of an opinion on the whole issue, I wouldn't use the blogs to make my own but i'd read other peoples'.

The off-site blogs are probably a bad idea because we couldn't moderate them...

20. suzyq

suzyq New Member

Thought I would give you my opinion. Blogs exist. Whether it's here, on blogger, or livejournal, or myspace or a personal website. If money is no expense then I see no problem offering it. People on this forum, either take you up on the offer or they don't.

How many of you who read this thread and answered it actually have a blog? I know I do.

21. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I don't have a blog myself, but I do read a lot of blogs. So if people on here used the feature to write a blog, i'd use the feature to read them.

That makes sense in my mind...

22. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

Why not. If you have the hardware, the bandwidth, and the inclination to do it. I think it's a good idea.

Not withstanding the cost involved, it would be an added feature to attract writers to this site. An all-in-one package if you will. A journal of sorts to track or thoughts . I know a lot of times I get ideas or learn something just by browing the forums. The blog would be cool just to have a place to jot em down as I'm browing.

Plus, the forums are great but the blog gives you a little more personal flexibility with your posts. You could post your stuff on your blog if you wanted and just start a thread with a link asking for reviews.

From a technology standpoint it might be a pain to manage or implement, but it might be cool to tinker with.

Have you played with Moveable type? That is another option. Don't know what you are running this site on, as I have not dug around to find out server info or any of that, but movable type is a great piece of software to manage multiple blogs and really easy to set up on a unix-linux platform. Or even windows if you are running apache. Not sure how you would integrate it here though. so the plug-in might be a better option.

I know you are paying for this but have you looked into open source stuff like phpbb?

Anyhow, I think the blog would be a great idea. The only concern you may want to look at is future traffic. Look at what your hardware is now and decide if it can handle the traffic load of this site and a blogging utility or if you will need to upgrade the hardware.

Just a thought from an IT guy's perspective.

23. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I would use it. Blogs are about the only thing I write anymore that I finish. Haha, maybe I should start writing stories in diary format. Then maybe I wouldn't get sick of them three pages in. :p

But yeah, I like the idea. I know I would use it, and I would like to read other members' blogs as well.

24. Daniel

Just an update - we will be getting blogs. ;) Look for them within a few weeks.

25. jj3125

jj3125 New Member

personally, i don't really get the point of blogs... the only time i've ever bothered to read one, was when my friend was in singapore serving army time.

otherwise... i wouldn't use it as i don't think people will be interesting in what happens in my life..

what else do you blog about??