1. mike-is

mike-is New Member

what do u guys do?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by mike-is, Sep 13, 2006.

i dont really write that much, but i want to become a musician and i want to write my own songs. the thing is, i realize, i cant really write lyrics, i can write poems. i suck at free verse. :confused: most of my stuff is about 8 syllable lines with the last word rhyming with the last word rhyming in the next 8 syllables. i cant shake this, its the only think that comes naturally to me, every free verse i write seems unnatural and it just doesnt click. any ideas???

andrew smith likes this.
  2. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

when you have a euphoric moment or a moment when u feel a particular emotion more strongly, jot down exactly what you feel, why you feel that way..dont be concerned with making it fit to a song just yet..

I found that if I tried to write lyrics I got caught in that mode where old tunes just buzzed through my head and the next thing u know I was writing bad poetry instead of lyrics LOL

For example: One night I found my grandfathers old guitar in an attic.. I wrote down everything it made me feel..everything it made me recall..and the next thing u know I had words that could be formed to music instead of vice versa..im not really a songwriter..but I have a good friend who is and she taught me to write that way..

Hope this helps a little

andrew smith likes this.
  3. Nexus

Nexus New Member

Well, often if you make your poem flow well enough, it makes great lyrics. Its obvious that most poem's arent long enough to make lyrics but you can always put them together. Try to make sure your in the same mood for each part of the song.

andrew smith likes this.
  4. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

The easiest way I've found to write lyrics is to write some kind of music first. It doesn't matter what instrument you use. Just come up with a basic tune or rhythm. It's MUCH easier to put lyrics to music than it is to put music to lyrics. By all means, write down spur-of-the-moment ideas. But don't put them into an organized form until after you have a musical base.

andrew smith likes this.
  5. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

Most of what you think doesn't fit actually fits. That's what I've notticed in my conventional writing.

People like to butcher their work. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it's not a good thing.

andrew smith likes this.