1. thatguyzac

thatguyzac New Member

Book cover art?

Discussion in 'Cover Design' started by thatguyzac, Aug 9, 2012.

I'm getting to the point where I want to start shopping around for an artist to do my cover. What's a reasonable commision fee for something like that? I have a couple of personal references that I'm looking into, but I have no idea where to even start with an offer. Any thoughts?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Fageddaboudit.

The publisher chooses the illustrator, not you. Your input is not even particularly welcome.

It's a marketing/packaging issue.

3. fwc577

fwc577 New Member

For people who want to self publish it's all about how much you are willing to spend.

If you want something more professional looking expect to shell out anywhere between $100-$500. As the price scales upward expect to have features other than just an ebook cover such as a softcover version or a dust jacket version for if you self-publish with print on demand as well.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

As with everything else, you usually get what you pay for, ThatGuyZac.

fwc577 is on target. There are some well established professional cover artists that charge $1000 and up. You can also find someone to slap something together for $10 or $50 dollars.

Also, you might be interested to know, if you're not software skilled and thinking of self-publishing, if the cover artist can do the titlework as well.

Make sure there is a contract, and you understand what you're signing and agreeing to.

If you're not planning on self-publishing, like Cogito indicated, your publisher will be the one who hires the cover artist and will have the final say on the art and cover design. Personal references are handy, and sometimes, depending on the publisher--especiall the smaller ones, you might have some input. I suggested the cover artist that did my covers. I'd come across her through the magazine I edit for some years back. She'd won the a cover art contest, and I recalled her work as being sharp.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

People:

No advertisements or endorsements are permitted on this site. Posts removed.