1. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Weekly Tasks.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Max Vantage, Nov 11, 2006.

I've Had An Idea - Alert the Media! :D

Some here have expressed their honesty that they can often feel lazy and/or unmotivated when it comes to their writing.

May I suggest that we have some sort of weekly writing/poetry (or whatever writing-related) tasks for our regular members and new ones who wish to participate to complete? This way such things like writer's block, creativity, technique and the like can be overcome and achieved. I suppose it doesn't always have to be related to writing but something to do with a person's everyday life, such as completing personal goals. Maybe a forum thread all of its own can be made up by the mods here for all the members just for that purpose and to post what they intend to do, maybe how they're going to do it, whether they succeeded or failed and write why if necessary? Maybe a writer's diary specifically for this site and not necessarily an off site blog so that we can all enjoy reading other's achievements no matter how big or small?

Waddya fink? :confused: :cool: :)

2. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

I'm down. Ideally, we should be practicing a bunch anyways - a weekly assignment or focus group would help to keep that ball rolling.

ZB

3. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Who would be responsible for organising it? Mods, or anyone?

4. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

I wouldn't want to overstep our bounds here so if Lpspider and the other mods like the idea then they should definitely have control of it. If they don't have the time or interest then we could round robin the ideas each week

5. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

There are a couple of ways that we could do this, incidentally.

We could have a "short short" writing challenge each week, with a suggested topic. The best one would be voted on and announced.

Also, if members want assignments on a weekly or daily basis, we could do them per person.

I could certainly help out with that sort of thing.

Good Idea.

6. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

I'd be okay either way - if we go with the latter then I shall anxiously await my sentence. As for a short story contest we should probably put a word limit on it as it appears those tend to be the least read/reviewed items on the boards (though I could be way off with that - I'm new :() Say...<1000 words?

zb

7. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Not that I'm suggesting that there's anything wrong with the site that it is but everytime I log in here it kinda feels a little bit "quiet" on the interactive front. I guess the main reason is not only to sample people's talent but also to bring a li'l kick into the forum.
    I'd be well up for assignments and related weekly tasks; if to help give me that little bit more kick in the creativity department on a regular basis. I think experience has has told me one of the worst things a writer can do is simply wait around for an idea but if a challenge isposed it could put the juives into overdrive.

Agreed. I have writing software that I hardly ever use that has one of those inbuilt word counters.

8. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

ps I won't be joining in with the "I never believed in hell" competition but I will be writing a short story for it and will post in my blog.

9. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I'm okay with this weakly taks/goal thing. However, I won't be able to supervise it. Anyone interested?

10. Spherical Time

I'll do it. I'm around almost every day anyway, and if I did have to take a break, I can let you know and you can find someone else.

If you want a staff member, that's fine though. I understand.

Here's my suggestions anyway: Create a forum for it. Every week on Monday, someone can post a weekly short story prompt, and people submit stories. The next week, the entries will be moved to a poll, and people vote for the winner for a week.

Winning short stories could be added to the next ezine, if people are okay with that.

Now, if someone wants personal help with their own story or book, me or another member can go there and get individual assignments. They don't have to post them, but if they do, we can give feedback to them.

Lp, I'm assuming that the "add polls" option is disabled for most of the board, because I don't see it here. If you add the forum, then could you turn it on, just in there? (If I recall correctly, the option should come up when you create the new forum.)

Because you'd be asking people to review work, I think it should go in The Review Room, but it could also go under writing issues (because not every thread will have something to review.)

I wish I could explain this more clearly. I guess I'm tired tonight (it's past my bedtime). If you have any questions about what I'm proposing, let me know, and I'll try to rewrite to clarify.

I've got a lot more specific ideas, but I'll wait because I don't what to suggest stuff before the idea gets approved.

11. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

Ditto. A weekly focus group would be awesome. I'm more than happy to vote and review/comment on other writer's work once a week. Spherical thanks for offering to head this up! You have support from this member.

12. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

:cool:

13. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

oh, great, now I actually have to start writing again...writing, words, sentences, thought, pre-thought, characters, CAPITAL LETTERS.

*sighs* well I guess I better get started on it.

14. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Slow down, dude. We haven't even got this thing going yet and we don't even know what we're going to write. :p :rolleyes:

15. Spherical Time

It's up, check it out.

If you have any suggestions for topics, you can always PM them to me.