1. Casca

Casca New Member

Character Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Casca, Jun 1, 2017.

Do you ever apply a soundtrack to a character you are creating in order to try to get to know them better? I've said before that I've never done any serious writing but I have done a lot of role playing in chat rooms and on forums so that means that I've created a lot of different characters.

Even if my character is in some sort of past setting where they are unlikely to have heard any sort of modern music, I try to assign them a playlist. Sometimes I'll try to choose songs that I think best describes them and other times I might try to choose songs that I think they would enjoy listening were they to be sitting next to me while I browse YouTube.

For a comic book story that I am currently "writing" (taking notes), I've chosen a list of songs that I think best fit the setting rather than any particular character.

What do you guys think? Have you ever done anything like this and if not, do you think you'd like to try it out? You could even take it slow by trying to assign a playlist to one of your favorite characters from a book you're reading. I once tried creating a playlist based off of Lord Soth from the Dragonlance series; come to find out, him and I have vastly different tastes in music and I like to think that I'm pretty varied.

2. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

I've tried an over all play list for writing that might or might not reflect on the setting, but while I might have a special song for a certain character, I wouldn't do entire play lists for them, or need it for that matter.

My boyfriend is a vivid larper and has play lists for all his characters (probably role plays as well, who knows). While I've only been to one of their larps (profile picture) I've made play lists to a few others which I chickened out with. When playing a character I feel like I might need music to get into character while I usually don't have the same "problem" when I write.

Casca likes this.
  3. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

I do a very similar thing, Casca. My book is set in the present day, but my MC is very much stuck in the '80s still. So he has his "theme tune" that I listen to every time I start work.

It's this:

I want to get a faux '80s vibe in the book, so it's '80s music all the way for me. I've not proven to myself that it changes my writing (but it does make me more focused and productive), but it helps me feel like I'm "living" my book, making the whole process more enjoyable, immersive and fun. And if you find something enjoyable, you will keep doing it and you will be productive.

That's what I keep telling myself.

Casca likes this.
  4. Casca

Casca New Member

It's not really something I would do for every characters. Only those for whom I feel it would be appropriate. I've done it a lot for role play characters though as much to give other people a feel for them than for myself.

I LOVE that song!

I can't actually listen to music while I write. It distracts me. When it comes to role play characters, I've actually had songs I've chosen for them become meaningless because I had one idea for the character when I made them but they turned into something different once I actually started writing.

Partridge likes this.
  5. Myrrdoch

Myrrdoch Active Member

Not personally, but I often have music playing quietly in the background when I'm hacking out garbage, so music and writing still go together to me. Interesting technique. Maybe I'll try it.

Casca and Cave Troll like this.
  6. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

I wrote about this on my blog: https://davidwittlingerauthor.wordpress.com/2016/09/09/mood-music/

I don't listen to music while I actually write. I find it too distracting.
    As I work out scenes in my head I will sometimes come across songs or music that, if my book were a movie, would play in the background of a scene.
    I do have playlists of songs that 'fit' a particular character or that I feel he/she would listen to or be a fan of.
    I've developed new/future scenes for books while listening to music as I mow my lawn!

7. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

I usually have a song or two for a character if I think it really represents them.

Rosacrvx and Casca like this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I am a music for mood kinda guy. Though if I could sum it up in one song
    as it is currently.

Myrrdoch and Casca like this.
  9. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

For me it's the other way around: I have my characters, but on and off I come across a song which fits them in a certain mood :)

Casca likes this.
  10. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

Likewise. Main characters have more than one song.

Casca likes this.
  11. Odile_Blud

Odile_Blud Active Member

Typically, soundtracks go for an entire story, but for individual characters, I'll usually have two or three songs that I feel fits them, and usually, it'll find itself on the soundtrack with all the other songs I feel fit the characters and situations.

Rosacrvx and Casca like this.
  12. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Alec Shorman: Dungeons and Dragons nerd who takes great pride in identifying as Lawful Evil
    Dance with the Devil – Breaking Benjamin
    Shot in the Dark - Within Temptation
    Faster - Within Temptation
    Eve of Destruction - Barry McGuire
    Mother - Danzig
    Angel of the Morning - Juice Newton
    Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones
    I Wanna Be Sedated - Ramones
    Make Me Wanna Die - Pretty Reckless
    Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
    Early One Morning - Nana Mouskouri
    Through the Fire and Flames - Dragonforce
    Joker's Song - Miracle of Sound
    Citizen Soldier - 3 Doors Down
    When You're Evil - Aurelio Voltaire
    Fox on the Run - Sweet

Charlie Petersen: Chemistry student who watched Breaking Bad and decided that's what she wanted to do with her life
    Woke Up This Morning (as abridged for The Sopranos) – Alabama 3
    Ice Queen - Within Temptation
    Disturbia - Rihanna
    Ain't No Rest for the Wicked – Cage the Elephant
    Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics
    Bitch Better Have My Money – Rihanna
    Ready Set, Let's Go – Sam Tinnesz
    Run This Town - Rihanna (feat. Jay-Z and Kanye)
    Castle - Halsey

Amy Carmine: military history nerd and post-traumatic serial killer
    Everybody Want to Rule the World - Lorde
    Supernatural Superserious - REM
    Living Well is the Best Revenge - REM
    Schizophrenia - Blue October
    Richmond is a Hard Road to Travel - Bobby Horton
    Down With The Sickness - Disturbed
    Carnival - Natalie Merchant
    Mad World - Gary Jules
    Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day
    Kinda Outta Luck - Lana Del Ray
    Imaginary - Evanescence
    Paint It Black - Rolling Stones
    Where Is My Mind - Pixies
    Titanium - Within Temptation
    Breakdown - Jack Johnson
    Human - Christina Perri
    Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton
    Johhny Reb - Johhny Horton
    Sink the Bismarck - Johnny Horton
    My Life - Billy Joel
    Unwell - Matchbox 20
    It's My Life - Bon Jovi
    Take Me To Church - Hozier
    Working Class Hero - John Lennon
    Welcome to the Jungle - Guns 'n' Roses

The three of them together:
    My Life Would Suck Without You - Kelly Clarkson
    People Like Us - Kelly Clarkson
    Wherever You Will Go - The Calling
    And We Run - Within Temptation (feat. Xzibit)
    Dearm On - Aerosmith
    We Will Rock You - Queen
    You May Be Right - Billy Joel
    Airship Pirate - Abney Park
    Tear the World Down - We Are The Fallen
    Burn it to the Ground - Nickelback
    Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down
    I Fought The Law - Dead Kennedys
    Then I Met You - Proclaimers
    Angel with a Shotgun (nightcore) - CUTloveRx (youtuber)
    Umbrella - Rihanna

izzybot likes this.
  13. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

There are times when the words just for through my head when I'm listening to certain music. I used to keep mood playlists for evoking certain emotions and help me write the scene as well.

14. Ross O'Keefe

Ross O'Keefe Member

Much like some of the other guys, I don't apply a soundtrack to a character, but use music to help me find the mood of a story. So I guess I'm applying a soundtrack to the overall story

15. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

I think I spend a lot of time constructing a playlist like a damn TV show. I have music for all the individual scenes that convey the emotion I am trying to portray like a BGM. But then I also have several different tunes and themes for each of my characters depending on a circumstance in the story.

I often have a Theme that Conveys them in a general sense

I then have a Theme that Conveys their Ideals or what they embody

Then I have a Battle theme or Sometimes a "Dark" Theme that embodies their negative flaws

For example, I am hooked on the NiER: Automata OST, but one of the songs greatly embodies a flaw of one of my characters. Michel. Who I wrote about earlier. It is that his mind is his worse enemy and this song, every time Michel goes through one of his moments sort of rings in my head

16. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

I know double double post, but this is what I mean by having three themes. The next theme I chose for Michel that represents his ideals, is this song. And funny is that it flows into the same musical elements as his dark theme/battle theme

I also like the title. Because unlike the other two leaders Michel is uncertain of his reasons and goals. He desires a better future and hopes for it. But it seems so far that he cannot predict when it happens. Thus a vague hope.

17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Current place and time for two out of three MCs, this would work well.

And the third.

JPClyde likes this.
  18. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

So I am totally into this, the songs I chose for my two other MCs. Signore and Ignace are as followed;

This is Ignace's sort of traditional theme, its not his battle theme, but I think his normal theme might fit also his ideals as well

And Signore's traditional theme it doesn't embody his ideals as much, as more him rising from his despair

zoupskim, Vianca and Cave Troll like this.
  19. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

No you are not! I have a very indie, cryptic, dark and hippie playlist. I put on my headphones and out come the magic fingers and you've lost me. It helps to keep you focused and on track. I mean all my characters have their song and their playlist. lol

20. Dreams_on_Mars

Dreams_on_Mars Member

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  21. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

I had this problem, You should listen to more alternative music and indie. If it's darkness you want, I bet you can find some there.

Cave Troll and Dreams_on_Mars like this.
  22. DissenterKnight

DissenterKnight New Member

I have soundtracks, long and short, for settings, characters, etc. My current WIP is set in the 80s in rural West Virginia, where I grew up. So the "general" soundtrack is heavily influenced by country and bluegrass from that era.

23. Thom

Thom Active Member

Not for characters, but playing a piece of music that fits the scene often helps in writing it.

24. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

I don't listen to music while I write, because it distracts me. However, listening to music before I write can get me all pumped up and ready to go. Since most of my stories are set in the past, I haven't really compiled playlists, but one of my MCs is a time traveller from the modern day, and music means a lot to her, so I have compiled a list of all her favourite songs.

Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out (Her favourite song)
    The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
    Blondie - Call Me, Maria, One Way or Another, Atomic
    The Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby, I Predict a Riot, Every Day I Love You Less and Less, The Angry Mob, Oh My God, What Did I Ever Give You, Time-Honoured Tradition
    The Arctic Monkeys - I Bet That You'd Look Good On the Dance Floor
    Meatloaf - Dead Ringer for Love (She can also play the ten-minute version of Bat Out of Hell, but that's more to say that she can than any great fondness for the song)
    The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger
    The Killers - Somebody Told Me, Mr. Brightside
    Blur - Parklife, Song 2
    Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen In Love
    The Kinks - Lola (Her mother's favourite song), All Day and All of the Night
    And I'm sure I've missed some off.

25. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

I have sort of given my characters theme songs, though they don't get soundtracks because it's so hard to find a song that describes them perfectly while being something they'd listen to. But I often think of the story I'm writing while listening to music, and I get some good...or interesting... thoughts about things that could happen within the story. Sometimes these thoughts turn into something that goes into the story, sometimes they don't, but it's still fun either way.