1. Hellenic Katatorki

Hellenic Katatorki New Member

Immortaility

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Hellenic Katatorki, Aug 11, 2014.

I had this strange idea when I was watching this....doctor who or something, But I wanted to create an story where an immortal man has lived through 2000 years of history.

My periods are:

The Rise of Rome
    Roman Empire Period
    Japan - 1570, Sengoku Jidai - the darkest age of civil war in Japan
    China - Romance of the Three Kingdoms eras, Han Empire, Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China, many other periods.
    Imijin War - when the Japanese first tired to invade Korea but couldn't and failed.
    The Crusades
    Arabian Kingdom Periods
    Napoleonic Wars
    17th century - global
    18th century - global
    European Wars - Prussia, Frederick the Great
    1905 Russo-Japanese War, battle of Tshumia
    WW1
    Wars of Alexander's Succesors
    Rise of Macedon
    Macedon-Roman Wars
    Hannibal of Carthage vs Rome
    Roman Expansion into Germania
    Greek-Roman Wars

I've even had him set as an Vampire, but I'm not so sure of this.

Al-right that may seem an '' little freaky'' but I can assure I am no weirdo, history is just an passion of mine. I maybe could twist fantasy but perhaps not. I think this would be a good idea, what do you think?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I think that's an awful big bite to chew. Perhaps you should write one section of it as a freestanding story and see how it reads.

3. Hellenic Katatorki

Those are just the time periods that I've chosen though. They're the areas of where I would like to explore this genre and do it one by one at an time. Its not definite I won't do EVERY single period, Ancient Antiquity seems to be quite nice. Rome is def on my list.

What do you think of making this character be an vampire? Would it be nice to add steampunk to this historical genre type or would it get it too confusing? I had an initial idea where this journalist would go to this guy, lets say an English Lord in 2018 or whatever, and then the Lord would narrate his story and so and so on forth.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

You might take a look at the Casca series written by Barry Sadler.

The main character began as the Roman soldier who thrust a spear into the side of Christ while he hung on the cross. He was 'cursed' to walk the earth and remain a soldier until Christ's return.

The many books in the Casca series cover events similar to what mentioned in the OP.

5. Hellenic Katatorki

Oh...so I'm late aren't I? Would it be wrong for me to then write something like this or would I be copying something then?

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

No, it wouldn't be wrong to do something 'like' it. I am sure your premise (how the immortal came to be) and who the immortal is, and how the immortal responds and the situations will be different, as will the characters the immortal interacts with. But you're not the first to have the idea...there are probably additional examples, but that's the one that came to mind when I read your original post.

7. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

Well, I'd think that copying implies are certain level of intention. Every idea is unintentionally a replication to a certain extent. If you diverge and make originality, then I'm sure you'd be good. Regardless of the level of similarity between your idea and the Casca series, I think it could be a really interesting storyline. Tracing humanity for such a long period of time could be a fantastic moment to expose it in all honesty -- expose, fully too, the irony, backwardness, triumph, struggle, ingenuity, meaninglessness(fulness), the whatever, the characteristics so desired.

8. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Have fun doing all that historical research. I suppose if you like history, it should be a fun and educational experience.

I actually have a story about an immortal who has lived for thousands of years. It is high fantasy, however, and it is not one continuous story but adventures in different eras. In case you are curious, the character is not a vampire.

9. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Senior Member

Orlando, by Virginia Woolf springs to mind.

10. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

It would be quite herculean to cover that much in one story....Try a couple hundred years instead