1. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

How can you stand it?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Neoaptt, Feb 25, 2010.

I sent in my information to about 10 publishers yesterday. Now I'm waiting for them to respond if they want my stories or not... I'm not sure what to do now. How do you guys stand the wait? This is my first time trying to publish anything.

How am I supposed to wait and sit here? What do you guys do to pass the time? I should be getting 1 response in about a week. The rest could take up to 2 months...

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Write.

3. iolair

iolair Active Member

This.

You should be working on your next writing project.

4. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

Can't agree more. Once you send it out it is out of your hands and out of your mind. Don't worry about it. Just keep writing.

5. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

I guess thats write (pun). But... I just... I don't know. Thanks though.

6. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

It's fairly cut and dry. To be a writer you must write. All you're doing is waiting around to either be accepted or rejected. If you get accepted you have to write new stories or whatever. If you get rejected you have to write/ re-write. So in the mean time why not just write?

7. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

You submit, and keep track on a spread sheet or file of some sort, and then write something else.

With short stories it can be days, weeks or months before you get an answer.

After a while, you'll get used to waiting. It's part of the business.

Terry

8. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Thanks Terry. I don't know what i should keep track of though. I keep all my emails i sent and receive and thats pretty much how i track anything.

9. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Keeping emails works, but once you get to submitting a work a second and third time until it finds a home, it can get confusing.

I keep track of:

Title of the Work
    Market sent to
    Date sent
    How sent
    Response date
    Any notes/comments

I just use a MS Word file with a table/chart that I update the information on. It's basic but works for me. You'll find something that works for you.

Terry

10. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Why do you need to keep track of it?

11. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

So you know where your work is? When, where, why...

12. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

Email queries come fast, in my experiance. I don't think I like this route, but some agencies prefer it. I feel like they don't give it as much time or thought as they would if it were in front of them. But anyway, to pass time, I agree, write. I've been writing other versions of my synopsis and query, and researching other agents to send too. Also, I've been brainstorming and working on a couple of other projects. I don't think it's anything to stress over anymore. Just make sure what you send out is your best and hope it's your time to shine! :)

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you keep track of submissions, so you'll know who you sent it to, so you won't forget and send it again... and also so you'll know when the stated waiting period is long past, so you can send a polite 'did you get my query' tickler...

that's a bit puzzling to me... do you mean you sent more than one story to each publisher[which should never be done, unless they say it's ok], or that you sent different stories to different publishers [one to a query]?...

14. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Write, edit, amaze, write...

15. mammamaia

'amaze'???

16. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

I think it's a joke. You know, something not meant to be taken too seriously, and possibly humorous. But even so why couldn't amaze be in there. It could simply mean that you mold your piece of work till it amazes you. Pat on the back. Job well done. Doesn't mean everyone else has to feel that way about it.

17. mammamaia

i didn't say it couldn't be in there, wj... or even intimate such, by posting only that single word... i just wondered what the poster meant...

18. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I keep track of my submissions in a spreadsheet as well.

Title of work | Date submitted | Date of reply | Status (Accepted/Rejected/Withdrawn) | When should I query back | Website for publisher | Editor's name (if know) | Comments

That way I know what I can be shopping around, what I am waiting on, and if it has a stack of rejections, what I need to rework.

*EDIT*
    The Editor's name section is there so that, should an editor move to a new publisher, I know if I want to bother with submitting to them. I have one so far that, I felt, was unprofessional enough that I do not want to deal with them in the future. Its a big ocean out there, no need to deal with bottom feeders (unless you want to).

It also can be used for good. Should an editor who has accepted your stuff move to another publisher (maybe a more prestigious one) you know that you may have better odds.

19. BBWalter

BBWalter New Member

Lord Kyle :p, (just like typing your name)

This is much the same spreadsheet that I keep. However, I don't think I've ever had to withdraw a piece I've submitted for consideration before. Is this something you've had to do, or is it something that someone said you could have to do in the future so to include in your spreadsheet? If it's something you did have to do at some point, what kind of circumstances made you consider withdrawal?

(Sorry if this is somewhat off the given topic.)

BB

20. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

To keep track of my submissions, I use Duotrope's Digest, a site suggested to me by mammamaia long ago. :)

21. BBWalter

BBWalter New Member

I hadn't ever heard of this site (and, apparently, did not see the thread mama gave!); this site is amazing! Must pass this on to every writer I know!!!

Thanks for re-sharing...:p
    BB

22. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

Haha no problem. I love the submissions tracker on there. It is very convenient, plus the website as a whole is just a great resource to writers.

23. mammamaia

they're on my short list for sainthood, along with dave kuzminski, for his p&e 'gift'!

24. mammamaia

that's too tiny/cramped to read in large doses all day, everday... which is why the most universally acceptable and highly recommended font is courier new 12 pt, not tnr...

if anyone wants detailed help/advice in private, or tips from the pros on all aspects of writing in all mediums, that i'll be happy to send you, feel free to email me any time... i've been a newspaper and magazine editor, been a professional writer and writing consultant for nearly 30 years... and i mentor aspiring writers of all breeds all over the world... for free now, though i charged $150/hr, back in my old writing-for-money years...

love and hugs, maia

25. Wordhacker

Wordhacker Senior Member

I don't submit. Its too depressing. = )