1. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

Sex Scene as Fight Scene?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marthix2016, Sep 11, 2016.

I had this idea. Not sure how readers would view it but I think it would be something unexpected for sure. I was just imaging a sex scene as a fight scene...now I don't think this has been done often before in writing...it is a bit strange to say the least...so my novel's lead heroine is lured to have sex with her supposed lover (ideally I would say it's a female lover). She believes she has a relationship with this lover and she's known her for a while. The thing is the supposed lover lures my heroine into a trap as they have sex...and the lover attempts to choke my heroine. They struggle and my heroine is completely shocked/backstabbed. This is kind of a weird idea, I don't know if I should ever write it but I have a feeling it might be a good way to demonstrate how vulnerable one can be and would definitely be something unexpected in the story. I think it could definitely add to the story. Not to say that I'd really write much about the sex part but my heroine's supposed lover wants to kill my heroine and would shock readers that the lover is a villain. I would drop hints before hand of the lover's motives for doing so. Ideas? Thoughts? Given that hopefully my heroine survives this awkward encounter, I think it'd show her strength and also show that no one is to be trusted. Trust and Second Chances are a huge theme in the story. Let me know what y'all think of this unusual event. I've never seen such a thing in a movie or book before but I think it'd be an interesting twist. And I'm definitely not doing this just to have a sex scene in the story...I would only write this scene in my story if it adds to it and shows what kind of characters these two are. The lover...A character the readers believe to be a great and charming character turns against my heroine (and like I said there will be hints for her turning against my heroine before this scene happens).

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It's actually a pretty staple part of M/M erotica. There seems to be an audience for it, though, as a gay dude myself, I can't say I've ever engaged or known anyone who has engaged in it.

3. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

I'll give you that it would be a surprise to me, as a reader, but I don't think it would be the ground shattering twist you seem to be thinking of it as. It has been done before.

izzybot likes this.
  4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I think it all depends on how well you foreshadow the betrayal, otherwise it may come across as rather a little absurd. As with anything, of course it can work if done well, but I have a feeling it would be hard to do. However, I agree that it'd be a rather powerful way of breaking someone's trust, and given your novel's theme, I'd personally say go for it. You can always cut it out and do it some other way later if it doesn't work. But write the scene and see.

How were you planning to do the scene though? Like, would it have an ominous tone? Does your MC suspect anything? Would the reader already know the MC is walking into a trap? If you were to go for the romantic tone and then gradually shift it to something a little suspicious, or is the attack gonna be a complete surprise? I don't think the complete surprise would work. And surprises are only ever good if foreshadowed well - so it all kinda hangs on that. Otherwise it's more of a WTF, and not in a good way lol.

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I've definitely seen it in movies, although often in the opposite direction - fight turns to sex. But I'm pretty sure I've seen sex turns to fight as well. Or, too often, sex turns to murder.

If you think it'll work, give it a try - only way to find out!

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Yeah angry sex, that winds up usually wrecking the place. Pretty normal and not at all that unique. Let alone when it is two people of the same sex, that just adds a slight twist to an already fairly basic scene.

Get back to me when your scrawny D&D Elf character survives angry drunken Dwarf sex. That is some scary and exciting shit. :supergrin:

Shattered Shields likes this.
  7. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

You'd get reader empathy from me. I wouldn't say sex has ever involved fighting for me, but I definitely struggle every time (ta-dum tss!).

*crickets*

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Awe...poor @Sifunkle :supersmile:

9. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

Oh. I thought this was going to be the other way around. Two wildly passionate muscular men aggressively wrestling in the name of truth and justice, until they realize that justice is best served warm......

And hard.....

Okay, I'll just let myself out.

KaTrian and Spencer1990 like this.
  10. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Sure, it can work. Trying to kill your target while they're vulnerable seems pretty smart, although doing it during/after sex sounds a bit convoluted, but hey, maybe your villain gets a kick out of it. :p It can definitely be surprising as well, if you've sufficiently blindsided your reader so far, but when they look up, suddenly it all makes sense.