1. yourapro

yourapro New Member

Help with forming a new publisher

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by yourapro, Dec 27, 2012.

Hello all,

I have an interest to make a "for dummies" like publisher. I want to call it "Your a Pro" as in "Your a Pro: PHP" would be a book about mastering PHP. However, its obviously not the correct grammar. "You're" would be the right one but that wasn't available and I am also keeping in mind that "Your a Pro" is about building a brand. I am trying to get the opinions of authors about my idea? How do you all, as authors, feel about it?

2. evelon

evelon Active Member

I wouldn't look twice at a book which appeared to have such a fundamental error in its title. How many potential readers would trust the content inside the book if the presentation looked so poor?

On the other hand, how many potential readers would actually notice? For me it would definitely be a no no.

3. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

No, I really don't like it. Whilst grammatical errors can probably be used for added effect in some cases, seeing "your" on the cover of a book when it should be "you're" would definitely rub me up the wrong way, and because, despite what people say, readers do in some sense judge a book by its cover, most potential readers would put the book straight back down without bothering to look at it properly. Hope this answer was of some use. :)

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I would definitely find a different title. This is nonfiction and supposedly a reference type of book - I should buy something where the author doesn't know basic grammar?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are you asking for opinions on the name of the site/company?... or on the idea of starting a 'for dummies' publishing company?

in re the former, i agree that having a major spelling/grammar goof in the name would be self-defeating... and silly to the max...

in re the latter, i don't see how the 'for dummies' bit could work for a publisher... if you meant for a 'self-publisher' that would be a whole different ballgame...

btw, one doesn't 'form a publisher'... one 'becomes' one...you can, however, form a 'publishing company'...

6. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I'm also confused. Are you actually talking about becoming a publisher of some sort? Or are you wanting to write some sort of guide on how to publish?

Cheers, Greg.

7. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Find a different title. Your a Pro is terrible , and not only because of the error. It sounds like an advanced text, while 'for dummies' is a brilliant name that establishes that the book is a basic and easy to understand text that anyone can use. It is also light hearted and jovial. Just off the top of my head I'd go for Easy Answers, or It's Simple Once You Know How to [subject]. These are crap but examples of two quick alternatives.

Also, I believe the word you were after was not publisher, but publication.

Who would write your reference guides and how much would you pay them? How would it differ from the world renowned 'for dummies' series?

8. twohappymonkeys

twohappymonkeys New Member

Instead of "Your a Pro", which suggests anything BUT being a pro, why not "Like a Pro", as in "Like a Pro: Learning PHP"? I might take a pic of a cover that said, "Your a Pro", but only to post it on FB to mock...just sayin'.

9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

No, absolutely not. I wouldn't go near such a blatant error. Plus, if "not available" means that "you're a pro" is already trademarked, I'd just about guarantee that your alternate spelling would be a violation of that trademark.

10. domenic.p

domenic.p Banned

moved

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'd say only a 'yes' to the first two questions would matter... none of the others [i hope you were joking] will help at all... ;)

12. kitt.moss

kitt.moss New Member

"Your A Pro" is undoubtedly awful. I wouldn't be seen near a book with such a title. "Like A Pro" on the other hand is actually pretty good.