Tags:
  1. hedgerowpete

hedgerowpete Member

breaking up a word document

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by hedgerowpete, Dec 16, 2019.

I have written a million words of tripe. but as a utter newbie I have done so on Windows Word. Its one long boring written sheet and to get from one end to the other or anywhere in the middle i have to scroll the whole document one page at a time.

I have been told by my 6 year old part time internet advisor and full time grandson and chocalate nibbler to install book markers and then you can quickly flick from one chapter tot he next without the scrolling of endless pages.

So first up is the tiddler right? and is there a simpler way or a better way to section off the word doc to allow for fast jumps through it.

2. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

List each chapter as its own document, and then go get some actual novel writing software like Scrivener or YWriter.

hedgerowpete likes this.
  3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

bookmark.PNG
    ok, I dont know how your Word is set up.... but the microsoft Word I use at work, highlight the first sentence or word of the section you want to bookmark. Click "Insert" on the tool bar (should be right beside "Home."
    right beside "Hyperlink" there should be a "Bookmark" button. Once you click it, you can name that bookmark anything. For example "Chapter 1." That wont show up in your document. Nothing will appear to change on your document. However, if you go back and click the "Bookmark" button, it should keep a list of all your bookmarks. You can click on those to jump to the spot in your document where you placed your bookmark.

4. hedgerowpete

hedgerowpete Member

thanks all

5. More

More Active Member

Steve Rivers and hedgerowpete like this.
  6. hedgerowpete

hedgerowpete Member

cheers i will get to it later on today

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

point of note - if you ever get to the point where you want to format your novel into a mobi or epub, you'll need to delete all the bookmarks etc before you do... which is one reason why i don't use them.

incidentally i have written 9 novels in libre office word... you absolutely don't have to have scrivener or Ywriter if you don't want to

hedgerowpete likes this.
  8. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

No, you don’t. There’s plenty out there to suit anyone’s style and needs, those two were just off the top of my head. I have yWriter and honestly it is a little on the complicated side. Just like with writing itself; complex is good, complicated is not. Mostly, I use Writer from BigHugeLabs. Partly because I’m a cheap ass SOB, but it’s also a reliable, browser based, bare bones platform that I can access from any device on the internet, and it updates automatically and constantly. I’ve never lost a word because I forgot to save or backup a file.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019