1. sapphire5591

sapphire5591 New Member

Autobiographical/Memoir I don't want to become a writer but I want to publish a memoir. Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by sapphire5591, Aug 8, 2016.

Currently I am in my 10th year as a Massage Therapist. I now run my own practice and have plans to eventually retire from the hands-on aspect in approx 10 years. That being said, I hold professional licenses that are regulated through the Department of Health. That's where things get a little hairy. My story (all true) can have some repercussions if it became popular. This isn't just about the regular aspect of being a massage therapist. There are client indescrestions/affairs that have occurred, funny things I've been witnessed to that I couldn't begin to make up, feast and famine days, horrible bosses. I've come to the understanding that before I publish something like this, I have to take precautions: Like remaining unknown, changing the settings so no one can pin point where I've practiced as well as who I could be. Then the part of not being a writer makes it even more of a challenge. Should I look for a ghost writer? Plus should I even bother to write it at all? I do not know where to or how to begin....

Sample Chapters:

-Massage Therapy 101 - Ready to Become Skilled in the Healing Arts
    -Employment Reality Check
    -You're Fired
    -Removing The Shoulder Chip
    -Feast and Famine
    -I'm Not Supposed to Laugh
    -Psychotherapy Included
    -Corporate Slave to Chiropractic Fraud
    -Dual Relationships
    -Creeped Out
    -Building a Conscience
    -Cleaning the Slate and Starting Over
    -New Practice
    -Remembering Why I Became a Massage Therapist

Any and all thoughts and advice are welcome even if it is to suggest not to publish it at all.

2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Well, it's almost certain that your life experiences are much more interesting to you than to the rest of us. Not to rain on your parade, but memoirs and autobiographies which are actually published are almost always about folks who are already known/famous for other things.

3. sapphire5591

sapphire5591 New Member

Thank you for your honesty, yep... I think it's better to cank the idea.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

There are plenty of memoirs by non-famous people. The ones I've read tend to be from people who, while unknown, had a very interesting childhood or segment of their life.

Look at something like Don't Lets Go To The Dogs Tonight, by Alexandra Fuller. That will give you an idea of what the writing can be like in a good memoir.

sapphire5591 likes this.