1. Sir Cameron

Sir Cameron New Member

Steam power

Discussion in 'Research' started by Sir Cameron, Jan 5, 2008.

I'm currently working on creating my own world (in a literary sense, I swear), for a dnd campaign/ future fantasy-ish novel I've been working on. I've heard of steam-punk, but I haven't read much.
    From my understanding it's in a Victorian style setting with steam technology. I want to do something like this, but not necessarily in the Victorian sense. So... does anyone have any insight into steam? Better yet, good places for research?

Even better would be to get an ecosystem for a planet that would make steam shoot to the top.

2. Klee

Klee New Member

Steampunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <---This is a good place to start, it includes some links you might want to check out too.

3. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

Well, "punk" can cover any technology not in it's proper place. Like the even older "cyberpunk" which is film noir + robots/aliens/evil super computers...like Dark City.

Or fantasy/dungeonpunk which is a fantasy world but with "modern" technology, usually steam powered or "magitech" which is magically powered technology.

dieselpunk - WW2 era but with giant diesel powered robots and tanks.
    biopunk - plant-run technology and/or androids.

dunno the name for it but there's also old time-y westerns with robots...no good reason for it, just everything is better with robots.

"-"punk is pretty limitless.
    What exactly are you looking for?

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

have you googled yet?

5. MCWilliams

MCWilliams New Member

I thought I would pipe in my 2 shillings worth. I personally dislike the term "steampunk", but have come to except it for what it is. After all, what else would you search for in Google? "Retro-Victoria Era Gadgetry And Gizmo Fiction with Airships and Attitude"? Well, "steampunk" seems easier.

For my part, I write "steam fantasy", which I distinguish from steampunk because 1) it's fiction with magic, mythical creatures, and fantasy races, and 2) it not on Earth but a fantasical world currently in embroiled in an apocolyptic steam age war. Since you're doing a D&D Steampunk, it seems to me like you're really doing what I call "steam fantasy".

Most people looking for steampunk are really looking for "Retro-Victoria Era Gadgetry And Gizmo Fiction with Airships and Attitude", which is cool, but not fantasy per se.

6. pacmansays

pacmansays New Member

I used to be really into steampunk and visited this forum

http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php

Loads of discussion there about it and i'm sure there'll be many experts there to help