1. Rosemary74

Rosemary74 New Member

Can I use 'er" or 'erm' in a dialogue?

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by Rosemary74, Jan 26, 2023.

Hi! Good evening here (yes it's over than midnigth actually in France...) I'm new on the forum and I have to ask you something.
    I am a french author, fantasy, scyfy, etc, and I am actually in the middle of translating in english (thank you Capitain Obvious) one of my novel. I've search on the web if someone have a answer to my question, but I didn't find a real yes or no answer so, I've decided to ask here as you have already (iwhtout knowing it) help me before.

So! Could I use the terms 'er' or 'erm' in a middle of a setence when my character is hesitating? Like this setence from this book :

I’m sorry, could you repeat, I’ve not understood you request,” Tara said.
    “Sorry, Tara. Erm… Could you find me something really specific on your databases?”​

The italic is for an AI, and the setence next is from a real person. This is the first time I am facing that kind of "problem" if it is one, so I need to ask around.
    Thank you for any kind of response!

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Sure, why not? You see "uh" and "huh" more frequently in fiction, but I suppose "er" and "erm" would be acceptable. I'd only use them sparingly, though. Those random phonetic utterances can get annoying in a hurry. So do other stylistic things is they're not styled enough.

3. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

People use them in conversations so there is no reason you can't. You could use hesitations of this type to give a character a distinct speaking voice.

PiP, Rosemary74 and AntPoems like this.
  4. Rosemary74

Rosemary74 New Member

Thank you so much. This book is nearly finished and this is the first time in more than 400 pages I use this "words" ^^ It was needed in this particular sentence, but maybe I'll find it would be usefull in another dialogues at the begining after correcting and rereading phase.
    Thank you to you all ^^

5. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Glad we could help

Rosemary74 likes this.
  6. Racheakt

Racheakt New Member

Think of them like Italics. Imagine you have exactly one to spend per book.

You might be tempted to use them in a specialized capacity. Maybe looking to really hammer home the indecisiveness of a character, or going for a very specific tone. In which case more might be fine. Rules are made to be broken, after all.

But, er, unless you really think it will add something. Erm... you probably ought not use them much. It slows dialogue down and can get on some readers nerves.

7. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I'm trying to recall when I've heard someone say er or erm in genuine conversation and I can't think of a time. I don't use either myself. "Uhhhh..." or "mmmm..." are the usual terms of hesitation in my part of the sagebrush steppe.

Catrin Lewis and w. bogart like this.
  8. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

The original poster is French—I think er and erm are more common in Europe and maybe Britain? I know I've seen both used, but I'm not sure where. I once had a conversation with an old black man who kept saying "umeruh" over and over, run together like it was all one word. And I mean, as often as a valley girl might say "Like."

Just a heads up, this thread is from a year ago, and I haven't seen the poster since then.

9. Catriona Grace

Killjoy. Um, what if we're passionate about the subject?

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  10. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Nah, I don't want to kill your joy, just abuse it and maybe kick it around a little.

Catrin Lewis and w. bogart like this.
  11. Catriona Grace

Ooooooooo.

Xoic likes this.
  12. KiraAnn

KiraAnn Senior Member

Kinky!

Xoic likes this.
  13. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I say "er" and "um" all the time IRL, but not so much or ever in my writing.

14. Racheakt

Racheakt New Member

Yeah.

My general impression is that it's a very specialized tonal thing. Otherwise, it slows things down too much.