1. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Hindu Mythology

Discussion in 'Research' started by Banzai, May 4, 2010.

Whilst trying to revise yesterday, I ended up starting a science-fiction short story. It was inspired largely by a remembrance of a Hindu myth (I think it was Hindu) that the world and everything in it, was all a part of one of the Gods' dream, and if that God woke up, all of our reality would cease.

Does anyone know anything more concrete about this? Anything that you can provide would be useful, though particularly scripture reference to it would be useful (I'd like a line to use as an epigraph). My knowledge of Hinduism is, as you can probably guess, practically nil.

Many thanks.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

have you googled?

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Yes, and ended up more confused than when I started :p

Ideally, I'd like someone who is a Hindu, or has some detailed knowledge and understanding, who can answer my specific question(s).

4. s.knight

s.knight Banned

That dream is Maya, if im not mistaken. Ive heard that myth before. Everything is the supreme self.

Check out the late philosopher/ comparative theologian Alan Watts. He interpreted the eastern philosophies for a western audience in a wonderfully enlightening way.

5. jeanne

jeanne New Member

My country is Buddhism country but it has deep root of Hinduism. I'm not sure it accurate or not because in my country, religion myth tend to mix 2 religions together.

It's a story about Bhramma, the creator. During Bhrama Day - His day, not our day. His day is 4320 millions years - he creates the world by his mind. That means everythisng is his imagination. During day, Bhramma awakes and everything flows. Then, as he has worked hard all day he goes to sleep. So, he isn't thinking during sleep - another 4320 millions years - the world is destroyed. Then, when he awakes the next day, the world is created again.

Though, as I said. My country is so mix up with 2 religions. This myth might heavily influenced by Buddhism as it's a story of universe's circle.