1. Pandi

Pandi New Member

I'm a newbie in every sense of the word

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pandi, Sep 20, 2014.

I don't know what possessed me to decide to write book. One morning I woke up with a story in my head and I felt the need to write it down - 30,000 words later here I am. I have never written that much before and when I looked back at it, it showed. It's garbage but I want to improve it. That is why I am here.

-Pandi

GingerCoffee and daemon like this.
  2. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

It is always cool to hear about a fellow person who encountered an idea and then became interested in writing about it, rather than was interested in writing and then came up with something to write about.

Pandi likes this.
  3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi Pandi, welcome.

I did the same thing three years ago. I pumped out 134,000 word draft of a duology. Now my first book is 3/4 done and my writing skills have improved immensely.

4. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

Welcome to the group. Finding the passion to write is the first step. I've only been around this forum a couple of weeks myself, but I think you've come to a great place for good advice and constructive criticism. So as long as you're motivated for the difficult work ahead, you can improve as a writer.

Pandi likes this.
  5. Pandi

Pandi New Member

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to checking out this forum and getting some tips.

6. Pandi

Pandi New Member

Hi GingerCoffee,

That is amazing. Do you have someone that is going to publish it or are you working on your own?

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I was hoping to finish this year but realized I'm probably still a year away from finishing. If I could write full time that might be different, sigh. I heard an author yesterday on CSPAN Book TV say her book took four years to write and one more to get published. She said that was about average so I feel I'm right on track.

Like many writers, I will try first to interest an agent or a publisher. But I'm not looking forward to the idea they sit on your manuscript for months and months. There is a writers' convention here every year that lets you sign up to give three minute pitches to publishers. I plan to start there.

8. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Pandi, and welcome! Please read the New Member Quick Start Guide - it'll get you going around here.

Sounds like you're just like the rest of us - we wanted to write a story, gave it a try, and found that it stinks. So we all started trying to learn the craft of doing it well. You'll fit right in! :)

Pandi and GingerCoffee like this.