1. miss sunhine

miss sunhine New Member

Which book sounds better?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by miss sunhine, Jan 29, 2012.

Hey,
    I do plan to write both, eventually, but which of these two Crimes would you prefer to read, and be easier for an inexperienced writer?

1)
    Kate now lives in the City with her 11 year old son, Chris. She gets a phone call saying her estranged father has just committed suicide (he was dying of liver failure through drink) and that he has made her the executor of his will. Her life with her father was unhappy and she's done all she could to block it out.
    When she was 18 she was engaged to the Vicar's son, Peter, and due to his religion they weren't going to have sex until they were married. Kate had an affair with the husband of her best friend and feel pregnant with Chris. Her friend's husband turned away from her. To afraid to go to her friend for help, and knowing Peter's father would stop the marriage, knowing she couldn't hide her pregnancy, she allowed her father to send her away. (She vanished without a word)
    Now she must go back to a place she was unhappy and face a situation she'd run from 11 years ago. How can she face Peter, a man she betrayed but still loves? How can she hide the true identity of her son's father from her friend?
    Whilst going through her fathers papers she discovers something that suggests it wasn't suicide, but murder. Her father was not a popular man, the only people he knew lived in this small town, people she grew up with. But more importantly was he involved with something in her absence or did it spread back through her childhood?.
    As things begin to heat up, her personal problems swarm around her, her father's killer seems to have made her his next target. Does she have in her possession something he/she wants very badly or does she know something that she's not aware of?

2)
    Mike was an Inspector for Scotland Yard, until he quit 6 months ago after the shooting of his wife. He is still in mourning when he gets a phone call from an old family friend, telling him that the body of their son (Daniel) who disappeared 20 years ago has been found. Daniel's elder sister, Roberta (Mike's best friend from childhood) is in France working. They ask for him to go and collect her, thinking she'd need a familiar face.
    Arriving at Roberta's flat in France he finds it's been broken into, he is seen going in by a neighbour. Roberta is frightened by the break in but whoever it was didn't take anything, it seems it wasn't burgled but searched. They had to catch a flight in the morning, Mike allows Roberta to stay in his Hotel Room with him.
    When he wakes in the morning he finds Roberta has been murdered. And all evidence seems to point to him as the killer. As they have nothing solid on him he is released but it doesn't look good, desperate to solve the Crime and prove his innocence he requests the help of his old partner, who he has not seen since his wife's funeral.
    His old partner is working the Crime herself and it on opposing sides, it seems her new boss is adamant in pinning Mike for the murder of not just Roberta but Daniel too. Mike is a suspect, but her loyalty to him is stronger and she helps him try to clear his name. But as they begin to investigate Roberta's life before the murder, they discover that she wasn't an innocent as she always appeared. If she wasn't responsible for the murder of her little brother, is it possible she knew who the killer was and protected him? Especially if it was someone close to her that she loved. Did she have evidence against the killer?

Thank you
    x

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You're the writer, you choose. Whichever one you can stick with for the time and hard work to make it a finished manuscript. Maybe in time you will write both.

Make your own decision. You're the one who has to develop it. And making those decisions is part of your training as a writer.

3. Inspired writer

Inspired writer New Member

Hi Miss Sunshine,
    How's you? Both seem like great stories but go with which you seem most comfortable. You have to keep in mind that you'll be with the story and characters for a long time so, I say again, go with the one you think's best.
    Plus, without sounding rude, I wouldn't display your ideas online. Anybody could submit them as their own work. Well I'm assuming. I'm new to all this as well. So I'm pretty much in the same boat, currently sieving through the best ideas. If any? lol.
    Anyway, good luck and I wish for the best in your work.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

listen to cogito!... he and i seem to be clones when it comes to advice, so he saves me a lot of typing when he gets here first...

5. miss sunhine

miss sunhine New Member

Lol Mammamaia, you two are a double act!

Inspried writer - thank you for your comment it was very supportive, and i do find it hard sticking with one story as i get distracted easily. I have chosen the first one, only because i feel i can do more with it, and there's more opportunity for Suspense.

Thank you,