1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

Over-eagerness kills my muse

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by soujiroseta, Feb 18, 2008.

hi i have realized that everytime i come up with a feasible story idea i'll be so eager to get it on the page but 99% of the time my tendancy to over research makes me see holes in my story which i wouldn't have realized. i find this very irritating and was wondering if anyone out there can help me solve this problem.:(

2. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

You could always fix your story here and there, change it a little to fill in the loop holes and have some research done (as in, scientific research) to see whether your idea can fit in. If you write fantasy, this shouldn't be an issue. If you don't, then you might as well work on changing the story. Don't be afraid of trying, though. Write a story or two at first, then see to it where it lacks substance. Post it up here and maybe then you'll get the information you really need.
    Hop I helped.

3. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I have the same problem with my stuff, soujir, I start with an idea, do a bit of reasearch, or a lot, and start to realise that it probably aint a feisable plot or anything, which is daft as in fiction you can make anything happen :p I also end up going into too much detail aswell, thinkin about little things that aren't really important.

the best thing I can adivise you to do is to ignore a lot of the little holes that you see and just write. Some of them will be important and you can sort them out but otherwise tyr and push them to the back of your mind and just write. If at the end of your peice you find that it doesn't really work then fair enough.

4. soujiroseta

thanx anthraxx never thought of it like that. solid advice...

5. soujiroseta

thanks again anthrax, but i got one more question; how do you know when to stop researching?

6. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

That is, when, your brain stops working or the clocks read 3 AM.
    On a serious note, that is when you are fulfilled. If you are a perfectionist and find yourself unsatisfied nonetheless, then the only choice left for you is to take someone else's opinion. Some other ways of finding out whether it works or not is to think like a layman for a change. Just think: would you consider a man being killed by a fleet of pigeons a realistic idea? With this track of thought, you should be able to point out any unrealistic or forced idea in the story. Best wishes.

7. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Over-researching isn't a problem for me because I usually refuse to write anything based in any setting that even remotely resembles reality as I know it anyway. That way, I can just make up the rules, and it's a lot more fun. If I say aspirin makes blood clot or water freezes at eighty degrees farenheit, then hey, it's my story.