1. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Lessons typically taught in a home ec class

Discussion in 'Research' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Dec 2, 2013.

What is typically taught in a home ec class? I don't take it, but I need to know for a story I'm writing.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

If it's anything like it was many years ago, cooking and sewing mostly.

3. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Yep. That was mine, um...damn, 35+ years ago.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Also, budgeting and time management.

5. O. Snow

O. Snow New Member

The home economics class I took last year entailed the following:

Creating and implementing a budget
    Finding a job
    Finding an apartment
    How to lead a healthy balanced lifestyle
    How to have healthy relationships
    Employing a healthy diet

Altogether it seemed more of a "becoming an adult class", terribly boring, and so long as you wrote your name on your paper you would pass.

6. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Thanks, guys! This was all really helpful.

7. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Yeah, my home ec classes 30+ years ago were all about sewing and cooking. I assume, and O. Snowe above seems to corroborate, that they do more than that now. I will, however, never forget one of my home ec classes in eighth grade. The teacher in this class was particularly boring, and had a tendency to drone on and on about things. Anyway, everyone in the class at one point was making stuffed whales. One morning, out of the blue, the teacher picks up someone's whale, points to the spouting water from the whale's blow hole, and says, "and this is where he shoots up his sperm."

The entire class did a double take, and everyone had to ask his or her tablemates what the teacher had just said.

To this day, I have no idea why she said that. But, that's pretty much what I remember from my home ec class.

KaTrian, Okon and Duchess-Yukine-Suoh like this.
  8. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

I remember once in home ec we were making scones which very soon turned into a full-on dough-war which led to our "teacher" covering her head with her tray whilst being completely pelted with just about everything in the classroom including utensils. She squealed like a pig while we just fell about laughing. Needless to say we didn't have another home ec class till the following year - instead we had to stand in the gym with arm arms above our heads for 80 minutes every week for about 6 months. Looking back it was worth it and on Facebook we still fall about laughing reminiscing. Good times...

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that's what mine was, some 60 years ago... i took it every year in jr high and high school, so i could have the use of a better sewing machine, to make my own clothes...

10. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Lah! My laugh of the week! Maybe the entire month. (btw, any teacher who can pick up a whale needs to be doing something besides teaching! And who cleaned up the classroom after the whale spouted?)

Reminds me of my home ec class. Trying to put a zipper into some garment and follow the instructions on the cardboard wrapper I got so frustrated because it just wouldn't work. Finally I looked at the garment. Looked at what it was supposed to look like. Put the zipper in perfectly and never looked back.
    I learned how to do those basic things before I ever was confronted with a class in school. I had the advantage of a grandmother who taught me to lay brick, roof a house, lay carpet, build a table, replace a car water pump, cook, and sew all before I was twelve years old. (I taught myself how to drive a stick shift.)

Oh, yeah. And these days, Home Ec and Shop classes are all under the same umbrella. But while many girls may embrace welding and woodworking, some of the guys still seem to resent being taught how to sew or how to prepare a healthful diet. (Conversely, in a statistically argumentative way, that also means that many of the guys embrace learning how to sew and prepare a healthful diet and some of the girls resent taking shop classes.)

11. mammamaia

my mother taught me how to sew on an old singer treadle model at about age 6-7, along with how to knit, crochet and cook... my dad, who was an accountant and hospital administrator in his day job, was a putterer who taught me how to use tools to make or fix just about anything... so, needless to say, i pulled straight A's in home-ec... was even a 'betty crocker home-maker of tomorrow' awardee, in 7th or 8th grade...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    never bothered to take shop, though... my dad's basement workshop provided all i needed to make doll furniture anf hangers for the doll clothes i designed and made for my little sisters...

thewordsmith likes this.
  12. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

WOW! You totally rocked the schoolhouse!

13. mammamaia

i was more impressed with the check that accompanied the pin... i think it was $50 or $100... a nice windfall, for someone who was baby-sitting for 50 cents per hour!

14. Wyr

Wyr Active Member

I think what you are taught depends more on the school than the time period. My last home ec class was only about eight years ago, and we only covered a few of the topics in @O. Snow's post, on top of cooking and sewing of course. Of course we talked about budgets and food groups and running a household; but most of the class was making pillows, pajamas, stuffed animals and "learning our way around a kitchen," as my teacher always put it. :rolleyes:

15. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

You can skip sewing in our curriculum; I did wood- and metalwork. Not sure if that's an option in the US too?

Lol @ sperm whale.