1. YoungWriter2017

YoungWriter2017 New Member

Writers' Blog Urgent: Etiquette involved in publishing a blog post

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by YoungWriter2017, Jul 26, 2017.

Hi everyone, I'm new to writing and new to this forum.

I work for a client and was contracted work to interview someone to obtain details to write a blog post.

I've written the blog post and sent it to the client; the client is impressed.

I want to reach out to the interviewee and provide an update re: when the article will be published and I also believe it is important that the interviewee "reviews" what I've written (I plan on sending an MS Word doc).

I think it's only fair and right that the person "reviews" what I've written about them.

How do I go about doing this? Is this normal practice?

I don't want the interviewee to publish/distribute/share what I've written, so I'll include a note about that in the email. Once the article is published on the client's website, then sure--the interviewee can share the link to the client's site.

I'm looking for some guidance from seasoned writers.

Thank you.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think that you absolutely need the client's permission before you do this. This isn't your project--it belongs to the client. Now, the client may actually want you to do it, but I don't think that it's something to do without consulting them.

Laurin Kelly, jannert and Trish like this.
  3. YoungWriter2017

Thank you. I didn't think of it that way.

Looking forward to others' feedback.

4. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I agree with @ChickenFreak Your responsibility is to the client. They decide. The person you interviewed's expectations should be that any quotes or information given about them in the piece is accurate. They don't get to veto or change what you've written. I understand how you feel, but don't do anything without the permission of the entity paying you.

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I would add that you probably don't want to project to either the client or the interviewee that you aren't sure of yourself and need feedback on what you've written. Presumably you know your stuff and did a great job? You don't want to act as if you're not sure.

6. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

This. THIS, a million times this. I don't write for a living, but having 20+ years business experience I can unequivocally tell you that you that to do this without your client's permission (I would even suggest written permission but I'm paranoid like that) is a very bad idea. I would imagine that if your client wanted you to get feedback from the interviewee prior to publication of the blog post he'd have made it part of the commission.

Once the piece is published it would be a courtesy to let the interviewee know that it's up on the client's website as a gesture of appreciation for their time. Even then, I would expect that communication to be between your client and the interviewee - "Thanks so much for taking the time to talk to YoungWriter2017 last month. I just wanted to let you know that the blog post is up and running on our website."

Trish likes this.
  7. YoungWriter2017

Thank you very much everyone! I appreciate your responses.

Trish likes this.