1. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

Ancient Bloodline

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by pippin1710, Oct 7, 2008.

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using a lost bloodline in my plot. I was deciding if it is a cliche i wish i had another word for it since i think using the word cliche is becoming a cliche on these forums. It is not through bloodline but through souls which do not necessairly go from father to son but to anyone. Also its thousands of years ago none of this " I am your Father" nonsense. I may decide to create a brother but he would not be his actual birth brother but a soul twin ( when the Soul broke in too)

Any thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated as this is but one of the many complications i am ironing out for my series. :)

2. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

"Souls" are genrally considered the essence of a person... so whose soul are we talking about here? More information would help.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Why does it matter how many times it has been done? If youhave a story to tell that incorporates that idea, use it!

Don't drive yourself bonkers trying to come up with something original. Just tell a good story with good characters, and in your own unique voice.

We are all connected, perhaps through regional ancestries, certainy through commob genomes, through the star stuff from which eveything on this planet is comprised, even through the virtually infinitely comples wave function that is the universe. Exploring those connections is one of the fundamental themes through which we define ourselves.

4. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

Well with out going to deep in to my "magic system" everyone magical gets spirits which gives them abilities to do great feats ect.. there is one soul in particular which has had a very dark past who's first emobdiment or being was a great king and was the most influencial man in history. This soul then goes on for thousands of years to do great things but becomes so corrupt utnill it breaks in two. It does not resurface for hundreds of years after being pushed to its limits the two peices of this spirit finally come back to inhabit two young boys. You do not no who actually has the soul/ spirits but through speculation on the patterns in history it should come back and with a dominating empire there is almost a rat race to track this soul down.

all very confusing but i hope you understand a little more where i am coming from
    Chris~

5. TheAdlerian

TheAdlerian New Member

You could call it a bunch of other things like magical or soul "frequency" or "vibration" which only this family is tuned to. Perhaps it can be seen by the right people.

6. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Since it's not technically a "bloodline" you should at least come up with a more fitting name for it. Like "soul-line" or "spiritline" or something.

Just my two cents. *shrug*

7. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

thanks for advice on naming it i probally will just havn't really got to that stage yet any more advice is great

8. architectus

architectus Banned

Not sure if you ever read Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show, but this is very similar to that. So yes the idea works. A soul bloodline so to speak that can go through physical people for thousands of years.

9. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

thanks I looked in to the great and secret show it looks good really sci fi but good. I was wondering if you no what point of view it is since im trying to read many books with a first person point of view ecspecially fantasy series.

10. architectus

architectus Banned

it's third person. Athough it is sort of SF, it is Clive Barker, so you get a lot of weird supernatural stuff.

11. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Use "trite," it's not trite. Soul-line works.