1. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Novel Comics (aka graphic novels)

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by badgerjelly, Mar 1, 2017.

I am thinking about a little side project. I know a guy who does some quite unique artwork and I have recently been quite taken by reading V for Vendetta (my first ever comic!)

I am just looking for some basic advise about writing for this genre.

Anyone here have any experience writing within this genre?

2. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Hi Badger!

I am current writing a graphic novel that will be handed off to an artist I know to draw.

Two things:

1. He doesn't tell me what to write; I don't tell him how to draw.

2. Graphic novels (as I've discovered) is more of a cross between novel writing and movie/script writing than anything else. So here is my one bit of advice, pick up these two books.

1. Save the Cat By Blake Snyder. This is a great book about story structure in terms of film.
    2. After you do this, Buy and read Batman: Year One by Frank Miller.

You will be amazed by how Frank Miller follows Blake Snyder's Story Structure. (Actually, this is a great exercise for anyone wanting to learn basic concepts of story structure in any medium.)

There is other things I could suggest, but I don't really know how far along you are; so, I'll just suggest the first step I took.

3. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Not likely to go and buy books just now. Will have a little back and forth with the guy doing graphics because I may need to alter dialogue based on where he chooses to set the "story".

Only doing about a dozen "frames" to start out with, then we'll take it from there. I will post what we've done here once we have something done! :)

4. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Banned Contributor

Doesn't he follow your designs? Your fight choreography and expressions?

5. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Nope. He reads it, interprets it, and draws it as he envisions it.

6. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Banned Contributor

He's a co-writer and artist then. Because the things I mentioned trespass on the territory of the writer overtly.

7. Obsydian

Obsydian New Member

I'm currently teaching myself how to do my first comic book, and I'm reading a few books and other comics in order to understand the structure. I'm not sure how you've packaged it to send to your illustrator, but I can share with you how I'm personally finding out how to do it!

Right now I have a plot in mind and I work out a page-by-page rough of how I want the story set up. When I finish and polish it, I'm going to go ahead and create a panel-by-panel outline of necessary actions in the artwork as well as dialogue. This ensures that I (as the illustrator) know the important details to highlight in the art and gets my vision across.

There is a website called Making Comics that has a ton of juicy information on the writing that I'm finding very helpful for my newbie self.

I'm excited to see others on this forum doing comics!

8. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

I gave comics a go a few years ago, I've still got some of the artwork saved on my machine: -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]