1. NoNathanielNo

NoNathanielNo New Member

How does this sound for a 1st idea..

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by NoNathanielNo, Jan 3, 2011.

I am in the first stages of comprising a plot/storyline/characters for my first story. Unsure as of yet if it's even going to be a short story or a novel, or what. I assume short story would be best to start with as this is my first time attempting this.. Anyways, I would like some opinions on a few ideas I have -

Please excuse the vagueness of some of it, like I say, I am in the first stages..

+ Set somewhere in south of England & France
    + Woman in late 20's has good group of family & friends, great artist, loves Churches, Graveyards, cathedrals, both used and disused as appreciates the architecture, the variations of styles, the haunted links to some, the origins etc
    + Has a derilict/disused small church yard not to far from her home in South of England where she likes to go to draw and to be alone
    + Takes trips around Europe to see, draw, admire other churches, yards, etc this story finds her in France where she finds a church yard almost identical to the one she visits frequently at home, although this one had been in a fire quite some time ago
    + Fasinated by how close the imitation is, she spends most of her trip at this church yard, taking photos, and drawing it and it's surrounds, and writing her diary in as much detail as she can so she can compare for any discrepancies between the two when she returns home.

That is where most of my details end at the moment, I want the story to be about the gargoyles on the churches which come to life because of a link between the two identical church yards and throughout the story she finds out through these gargoyles and the misadventures that there are other living creatures out there once thought mythical I.e. Goblins, Elves, Trolls etc.

As I say, that is as far as I am so far with the details.

Any suggestions/recomendations/criticisms greatly apprecaited

Thanks
    Ray. x

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Sounds like a good idea. It'd be an interesting story. Considering what you want the story to be about, I reckon it would work better as a novel. But it's up to you of course.
    Have you read any Kate Mosse? I'd suggest reading Labyrinth, and Sepulchre as she writes about both England and France, and it would give you an idea of the amount of research that you'd probably need to do.
    I think you should just go for it and write it.

3. NoNathanielNo

NoNathanielNo New Member

Thanks Eunoia,
    I haven't read those books no, I shall have a look for them. I have done slight research in to the gargoyle side of it online, I may have to visit my library next weekend then.

I was also thinking of maybe the novel would be better, but I didn't know if I would be a bit out of my depth considering I haven't really written a proper story before. But I guess once I start writing it I will have a better idea of the details and such.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

My first story is a YA novel - I never planned on writing anything lol Just started and it happened - I wrote some short stories along the way but I am a much better novel writer it plays to my strengths better.

The skills are similar but different - you just have to keep writing, playing. Don't be afraid of it there is nothing that can't be changed, altered, improved or tweaked.

5. NoNathanielNo

NoNathanielNo New Member

Thanks Elgaisma,
    Excuse my ignorance, what is a YA novel? :)
    I guess I just have to make sure I write down as many ideas as I can when I have the story line sussed out start to write and see how it pans out. How often would you say is good to look back & make any edits, once a page/chapter/when the project is complete?

Also, going on from what Eunoia recomended, I googled Kate Mosse and she seems to have a very helpful website with advice for writers

http://www.mosselabyrinth.co.uk/advice/intro.asp

Down the right hand side are a number of suggestions, which I am currently looking through and finding very useful

6. Elgaisma

YA is Young Adult so shorter than an Adult novel. I don't plot just write and see where it takes me. Some people like outlining.

7. NoNathanielNo

NoNathanielNo New Member

Ah right I see, I always assumed that it was standard to have everything written down first, plot, characters etc and then start writing once you know where you are going with it.
    Maybe I shall try your way, and just write and see how I get the feel for the story as I start it.

:)

8. Elgaisma

I started with a family of characters - I had Angus - seventeen year old rebellious prince. His hateful, spiteful sister Evelyn. He heroworshipped his big brother Socrates the Crown Prince. His father King Lorenzo II he didn't get on with and his mother Crown Princess Athena died giving birth to him. Originally I needed his family out of the way so Angus could become king. That is all I knew.

The second I knew Angus' wife was kidnapped. He stayed behind to look after their son and Socrates with his partner Nate went to find them. I had some characters from my first book I wanted to use but created new ones as well.

With my current one I knew Socrates' partner Nate died. It was set a hundred years after the other one. Somehow he ran a school and was now the most powerful man in the universe. I knew more about him from three previous novels. Have kept a few characters from others. I have now completed the story and I am rewriting it.

Every writer is different - I love the surprise of writing it.

9. shezrie

shezrie New Member

I love your idea. I think that would make a very interesting tale.

I actually live in the south of France in a small town with a majestic cathedral at it's medieval center. The cathedral is covered with gargoyles and so are the wooden beam ends of houses in the town square. Every where you go you are being watched by dozens of silent stone fantastical creatures or carved wooden ones. It is rather spooky, I have some pictures of the cathedral that might inspire you...

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n99/Shezrie/mirepoix2.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n99/Shezrie/mirepoix3.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n99/Shezrie/mirepoix1.jpg

Here is some of the wooden beam ones on the houses, they aren't gargoyles specifically. But rather, they are creatures of fantasy and some humans.....

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n99/Shezrie/mirepoix4.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n99/Shezrie/mirepoix5.jpg

If you find the pictures helpful and want more of the cathedral and town I can get those for you. I go into town almost daily.

10. NoNathanielNo

NoNathanielNo New Member

Wow thanks shezrie, those photos are brilliant. For the moment I don't think I need any further photos but the offer & the information you gave was of help.

Thanks for the info Elgaisma, Nice to hear your way of writing.

Another thing, I have written my first page, I was wondering if I could message it to someone to see what they think? See if my writing style needs to be completely re-worked or just tweeked here and there?

Thanks
    Ray.

11. C. B. Carter

C. B. Carter New Member

I think it’s a good outline for a novel, I’d be interested in reading/learning what the catalyst is, what brings (or allows) this maecenas character to find the connection between the two worlds; Why now? Why her?

12. NoNathanielNo

NoNathanielNo New Member

C.B.Carter - Thanks for your feedback. This is something which I am constantly thinking of while starting to write I have numerous ideas which I keep jotting down. Hopefully I'll come up with the big idea which just clicks with the rest of my ideas :)

13. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Love your idea - write it, I wanna read it already!!!

14. TricksterDizzy

TricksterDizzy New Member

It's good to have the main character, but let me tell you... if a story writer has notes about plot, it is never used. Well, maybe with some depending on the author and how they write, but by the time you are done with the story the vast majority of it should change. Because during the process you get to know the characters, and they start going 'yeah right, like heck I am doing that. Pfft. I'ma going to be over here, doing what I actually do. Catch up when you want. Toodles!'

/remembers 55k words she threw out, having tried to stick the the pre-written plot and the characters then telling her she was a idiot.

/sighs

Basically, write. The notes I would keep would be inspirations, connections, details you want to remember, etc. Just to have on hand if needed. Don't worry about the plot or keeping up with a lot of the character details. The character list I typically use once to try and get to know my character better, then never look at it again.

And expect to rewrite it. At least twice.

Oooh, fun story. Did you know that in one of the original drafts of the Great Gatsby, Gatsby actually SANG about how he adored his love to the narrator? Yep, sang like a bird. So no pressure about having things make sense the first time either. Even the best authors have 'wtf' moments.

15. NoNathanielNo

NoNathanielNo New Member

Mckk - WOW! Thanks, you guys are really boosting my confidence to want to write by thinking that I have a good idea here. It's all in the execution though guys, but I guess if I find it interesting enough to want to write it then there is no reason why there shouldn't be someone out there who would find it interesting enough to want to read....right? :S :)

TricksterDizzy - Once more, thanks for the tips and advice I have already start to write a little and you're right I am finding it easier (and in all honesty more exciting) to plot the story as I write it rather than having a pre written plot and trying to work around it.