1. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

As I Was Plotting!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ashrynn, Jun 5, 2011.

So as I was coming up with the plot for my story I was a feeling a little....underwhelmed would be the best term.

Sitting back I shut my eyes and sort of just let it evolve itself and what I came up with I rather liked. I'm just worried I might be biting off more than I can chew with it and I wonder if anyone has ever felt this way...

2. IfAnEchoDoesntAnswer

IfAnEchoDoesntAnswer New Member

This pretty much describes how the project I'm now working on started :).

3. wallomrslug

wallomrslug New Member

I think every writer experiences this many times.
    If you feel good about it, write it and see where it goes. You will never know otherwise.

But if you remain underwhelmed, don't flog a dying horse. You can only really write something if you are enjoying it and are passionate about it, I think.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I've definitely experienced that a lot of times. I agree, write and see where it goes. If you start to lose control if it, you can rewrite.

5. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I experience this too. I am still having a hard time coming up with the ending to me movie script. So I guess you're not the only one alone.

6. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

It tends to drift further away from where I had been wanting to go honestly.

At first I was considering a sweet-love story that just kinda goes along, yet I had trouble finding much to throw in. It'd work if I re-did some stuff, but I kinda want it to be a bit more....ya know...

I'm going more into the LGBT theme so it's like, that idea is "ok", but I want more focus on the development of my main character.

The plot I came up with now fits the characters better, but it's kinda a bit annoying. Basically another character who I liked will play a betrayal of sorts and the story ends not with a "happily-ever after", but with a 'meh looking ahead' feeling.

7. Lord Malum

Lord Malum New Member

Always! That's why I love sci-fi so much. The challenge is a powerful motivator. The amount of research alone is a challenge. If you don't bite off more than you can chew, you're not really pushing yourself as a writer. Staying in your comfort bubble breeds mediocrity.

8. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

I must say this rings true.

9. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Personally, I see my books as stage plays, in a way. Each character is an actor or actress who plays a specific part. It doesn't matter if a character is "good" or "evil". The only thing that matters to me is that the characters play the part well.

As an example, you can't have a hero without a villain, and you can't have a villain without having a hero. Like it or not, the hero and villain are two parts of a whole. If you focus too much on the hero and ignore the willain, the whole task of defeating said villain will feel underwhelming and make the hero look a bit silly. Likewise, you can't have a great villain without having a great hero to challenge him. They both play an equally important part of the story, and for that reason I don't think it matters if a character is good or evil. All that matters is the performance.