1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Luke Skywalker has 'turned' ...!!! Spoiler rumour....

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by jannert, Oct 8, 2014.

Hey. What do you guys think of the rumour circulating just now, that in the new Star Wars movie, Luke Skywalker has turned into the bad guy, and is using the Dark Side of The Force for some end?

Some people are horrified by this prospect. I am delighted by it. I hope it's true. Wow. Now that's a story to work with. The seeds of this transformation were certainly laid in the previous films. In fact, I thought it would be a factor in Return of the Jedi ...that he would defeat Vader and the Emperor, but would be tainted in the process. The cheesy ending of that film left a bad taste in my mouth, actually ...but if this rumour is true....

Wow. I'm already excited. (Probably a big mistake.)

Isn't it fun to have a 'blockbuster' movie in the making that is NOT based on a bestselling novel or comic. We really won't know what's going to happen until it does.

Link the Writer likes this.
  2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

<Force Chokes you into the air>​

CURSE YOU FOR POTENTIALLY SPOILING THE MOVIE FOR ME IN THE TITLE!! I WAS GOING TO GO INTO IT COMPLETELY IGNORANT OF ANY DETAILS!!!!

<gently puts you down and feeds you some owl treats>

Sorry, my Sith side came out. :p <pats your head>

If the rumor is true, it raises all sorts of questions, the most obvious being how and why he turned after he was so defiant about not turning back in Return of the Jedi. I, however, am excited by the prospect of a Star Wars trilogy not hinging on any older Star Wars movies or any book or comic. We literally have no idea what will happen, who will win, who won't make it, etc. It's exciting to me. :D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    jannert likes this.
  3. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

OK,

1: Disney is making the movie. Therefore, consider the entire movie SPOILED.
    2. Making Luke turn to the dark side, considering that's exactly what happened in the last film to his father, is incredibly cliche. It also smells of a soap opera. Any character can be good, then they can be bad.
    3. There is nothing cheesy about an Ewok celebration and ghosts ';..;'

jannert likes this.
  4. Link the Writer

The whole 'Luke turns to the Dark Side' thing doesn't sit with me. The whole point of the final fight with Vader was that Luke was resisting the Dark Side while attempting to bring Anakin back to the light. Hell, he even said, "You've failed your highness. I'm a Jedi, like my father before me." If that wasn't proof he was firmly in the Light/Good Side, I'm not sure what is.

But apparently...if this rumor is true...he does a 180 and turns? I bet Ghost!Anakin would have some very choice words for his son if that's the case.

jannert likes this.
  5. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Shadowfax, Ulramar and jannert like this.
  6. jannert

Well, technically it's not a spoiler, because nobody knows if this rumour is true or not. So it's just speculation. Kinda ---what would you like to see happen? In fact, one of the rumour sites thinks it's a false rumour, leading us to believe the wrong thing! So it's kinda fun. I wouldn't want to know until I see the movie, and I promise, if Harrison Ford whispers the plot in my ear I will never reveal it!

7. jannert

There were actually hints of this in the original trilogy ...including Yoda telling Luke that he was 'not ready,' when he kept dashing off, untrained. And he was far too impulsive for Yoda's liking. Remember? We assumed Yoda meant that Vader would defeat him if he ran off half-cocked, and because this didn't happen, we kinda forgot it. But maybe that's not what Yoda meant?

I personally think this Dark Force 'taint' is very possible. Not only is Luke his father's son, but it's also in keeping with the way 'heroes' work in mythology, etc. They may well save the world, but they don't usually escape unscathed themselves.

Like I said, I honestly thought this would happen in The Return of the Jedi. I had a good friend who was a huge fan, and we spent the years waiting for that sequel thinking about what it would be. We BOTH thought ...oh, no. Luke will win the battles, but end up going over to the Dark Side and following his father's path. We were both quite disappointed in what looked like the end of the story, with the final movie in that trilogy. And all that Ewok nonsense ...urkkk. It just got sappy towards the end.

I remember that 10-minute speeder chase through the forest before both speeders dumped their riders. And somebody sitting a couple of rows behind me said, quite loudly, "Well ...THEY'VE got a long walk back!"

And the Emperor? He was as scary as the Wizard of Oz. Instead of appearing to be powerful and the master of Vader—who WAS scary—the Emperor was just this cackling old bat with lightning shooting from his fingers. That seemed to be his one big party trick. Luke probably could have won the battle by chucking his light saber into the abyss and just laughing his ass off. "YOU? YOU are the Emperor we've heard so much about? Oh for pete's sake... Mr Electricity Crackly Fingers, I double dare ya... come here, and I'll plug you into my hoover and sweep the floor with you."

matwoolf likes this.
  8. 123456789

I think your problem Jannert is that Star Wars was really meant for children. As someone who saw it as a child, I can tell you that Lucas's ewoks were not unappreciated and that the evil emperor, who looked very much like a terrifying old hag (See Zorba the Greek) had me trembling.

Also, that ewok celebration song at the end of the trilogy was fantastic.

matwoolf, jannert and peachalulu like this.
  9. 123456789

Seeing how Disney is running the show now, I think Star Wars fans have bigger problems than who turns to the dark side...Like, are we going to be sitting there, listening to a new score from Williams, that halfway through has vocals from Selena Gomez?

10. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I don't envy anyone trying to do the new Star Wars. It will be nitpicked to death. Probably why Lucas sold his company. I can't imagine the pressure of trying to create something with a zillion sci-fi fans breathing down your neck.

I hope Luke doesn't turn. The anti-hero is fast becoming a cliche. Disney ( the new company - I loved the old Disney ) will probably wreck it. Hopefully, they won't let Depp near it.

11. 123456789

I agree with literally every word you wrote!

peachalulu likes this.
  12. jannert

han.jpg Cynics!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Okon likes this.
  13. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

I like the idea. I like it a lot. But I'd hate to see the plot from the books tossed away, they were so good. I just hope that if they do the "Luke goes dark" plot they'd do it well. Maybe have it be like Anakin's turn in Revenge of the Sith, but this time we wouldn't guess it was happening because it isn't a prequel. If they do it slowly and then all at once it could be good.

jannert likes this.
  14. jannert

Books? There are books based on Star Wars, but as far as I know, none are official storylines. Just books that various people wrote to keep the characters going—kinda like fanfic. Actually a few of them were pretty good, too. But I don't think the movie will be based on any of them. I hope we get an entirely new story.

15. jonahmann

jonahmann Active Member

The treatment was written before Lucasfilms was sold to Disney by Michael Arndt, the co-writer of episodes V and VI. He co-wrote the screenplay withh JJ Abrams, director of Star Trek (2009) and co-creator of Lost. So I wouldn't worry too much about it being a musical.

16. Link the Writer

The reason I'm against the whole 'Luke turning evil' thing is because we just spent three Star Wars movies watching a hero fall from grace. I know, the anti-hero is very popular these days (and fast becoming tiring), but I would imagine Luke would be the last one to be an anti-hero. I always thought that after the movies he became a sort of Obi-Wan/Yoda to any new Jedi recruit.

@jonahmann - Now you've got me imagining Luke singing Let's Get Down to Business to his Jedi recruits on the planet Dagobah. :p

@jannert - I think I heard that Disney declared all the Expanded Universe content to be officially non-canon. Meaning Episode VII-IX will be it's own storyline with only the Prequel and Original Trilogy attached to it.

peachalulu and jannert like this.
  17. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

I heard there was a greater, outside power that The Empire was trying to gain enough unity in order to fight off, and that the rebels messed that all up.

I'll only be really disappointed if there's no Wilhelm Scream.

-Edited to name the scream-

18. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If he does turn, I'm sure his redemption will be the centerpiece of episode 9.

19. Link the Writer

Now that I think about it, his underestimating the Dark Side tends to be his great weakness. He almost died by Palpatine's hands, and if Vader hadn't intervened, he would have died. Maybe there's that bit of Skywalker cockiness that he hadn't fully driven out of himself just yet. Maybe he found something mega-steep in the Dark Side and thought he was capable enough to handle it only...he's not and he's taken over by the Dark Side?

That or...maybe he wants to find some balance between Light and Dark and winds up being overtaken by the Dark because he wasn't strong enough to handle it?

20. 123456789

More details, please.

21. Link the Writer

I concur. The Rebels seemed to have failed to elaborate on this outside power that tried to gain unity to fight off the Empire. Which brings this question to my head: if there was this outside power who was trying to unify to fight off the Empire, wouldn't you think the Rebels would want to check them out and see if they could work together?

22. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Hey I don't know that much; 'twas second-hand from another baker, so take it with a grain of wheat (hence "I heard..."). It was some kind of world-destroying force, and one of the main reasons for the Empire being formed: something about needing the entire galaxy working together to stop it. He mentioned that the Empire were also the only ones who knew about this threat.

I didn't say it was the outside power doing the unifying... Anyway, think The Flood, as in, entirely hostile third-party.

Edited to add: from a plotting standpoint, a new threat is pretty much necessary, isn't it? You can't make a trilogy solely about a jedi falling to the dark side; you need a catalyst, like for Anakin. That took place largely in a time of war. And even it isn't about Luke going dark, you still need the entire galaxy to be at stake, that's simply how a film of that calibre would be handled.

This makes me wonder what happened in the books.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  23. jannert

Ah, so you HAVE been following the buildup rumours! :) However, the 'original' cast of Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford apparently have very large roles in this new movie, not just cameos. So this must mean it's a continuation of the older story, and not a completely new one set in the same universe. I'm pleased. And this must be what Lucas had in his head all along. Apparently he'd always envisioned the story taking this route (whatever it is.) And I can't believe that The Force (with it's Dark Side) won't play a part in it. Whether these same characters will be in all three movies to come, remains to be seen.

As for 'we' watching three Star Wars movies in which the hero fell from grace ...well, maybe that's my problem here. Because, apart from the first of the prequels, I didn't watch the others. I thought the first one was SO bad, I was not interested any more. The characters lacked the pizazz of Luke, Leia and Han and it felt like the filmmakers were simply exploiting fans of the original trilogy. And Liam Neeson—an actor I like a whole lot—was so scunnered by the naffness of the story he quit and refused to be in any more of them. So that was enough for me.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  24. 123456789

They should have a Star Wars spin off, just Han Solo and Chewbaka, getting smashed and banging aliens. Something dark and edgy that you'd watch on HBO.

peachalulu and Okon like this.
  25. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

scunner and naffness! Two new words for me - love them!

I didn't hear that about Liam. I thought he was great in Episode whatever ( the first new one? ) and wondered who was the dummy that decided to kill him off. Didn't realize he bailed. Love him too, he's a great actor. Not to mention he has one helluva sexy voice!

I kinda wish they'd get back to the old school way of filming Star Wars - sets, puppets, smaller budget. My eye isn't really all that tricked by the grandeur of the CGI or maybe if it was used more sparingly. The major problem I had with the new trilogy was the over complicated plot, all politics, that made it rather drab and hard to follow. The casting wasn't the best either. Natalie Portman has always been beautiful but she's a very unassuming actress ( the only spunk I've ever seen her show was in Leon. ) Christina Ricci, or even Drew Barrymore might have been better picks. Hayden Christianson he was okay, but too petulant rather than evil but even he can't take all the blame. Part is due to the plot which doesn't really give him a 'good' reason for turning evil. I would've went with someone like Johnathon Schaech: elegant, strong, sinister.

jannert likes this.