Tags:
  1. nickbrookes1991

nickbrookes1991 New Member

Planning Help

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by nickbrookes1991, Jan 31, 2011.

Hi I was just wondering if any of you have any help on planning all of the idea down, like plot, characters, setting and what will happen etc. I have been writing it on paper but getting all mixed up with where things are, just wondering if any of you have some sort of action plan type style.

2. PapaSmurfberry

PapaSmurfberry Active Member

Don't try and force inspiration. If you start getting frustrated take a moment to step away. Watch a movie that puts you in the state of mind of your story. If it is a dark story try to write as much of it late at night alone as possible, if it is a light hearted story do it in the afternoon. to keep a consistent feel try to write each day around the same time in other words.

Sometimes it helps if you cant find what you want to say start with the first line and just directly Tell what it is the story is saying in just a plan sentence like
    "Mike walked in room and picks up phone" and work your way from there into story showing :)

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

What happens if you write without a plan ?

4. PapaSmurfberry

PapaSmurfberry Active Member

I always write without a plan, it is writing with a plan I get lost on.

5. evelon

evelon Active Member

Formal plans don't work for me - I have to be able to move with the characters and have the freedom to alter the plot if necessary.

If think if you write out a point by point plan, you stifle your creativity and feel forced to keep within the bounds you've set.

I write detailed information about each character, not just the red hair, blue eyes type of detail, but likes, dislikes, favourite food, birthday, history, etc.

I get to know my characters and let the plot develop in my head before I put a single word down on paper. Then I write a sequence plan. I know where I want the story to go, but I leave it open for detours along the way. It's the only way I can do it.

6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

if you want to and to remember the ideas you can, when you come up with a story, write down the ideas for scenes on small cards/note book pages when you get them , then you can rearrange them in the order you want them to happen, but i think its a good help to do this because somehow its easy to forget them when you sit there or they seem too many and too confusing and having the notes to fall back on can be good when you dont know where to start. You dont have to be very specific, just a basic idea what will happen, the most important events as you go along. if you want to you can even be more specific and write down the basic outline of all the scenes, some people find it ruins the fun while others think its good. i do something in between, when i get stuck or feel i need help to sort my ideas out i do this but usually i write spontaneously without the need to. you can also do a little character analysis to get to know them better, its a good ides actually because you can even get new ideas for scenes to show of some characteristis of your characters more specifically. besides its quite fun. :) you just write down everything you know about them, age, physial aspects, main qualities, strongest sides and weak points, what they like and dislike, what made them the person they are, etc etc.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sounds to me like you need to do a lot more reading, before you tackle writing... constant reading of the best writers' works is the best way to learn how to do it yourself...