1. aboyd

aboyd New Member

Are games "not arts related"?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by aboyd, Jul 6, 2006.

I'm trying to think of topics that are not arts related that we could chat about. I actually think games can be very artistic (Planescape: Torment -- most moving experience I've had). But for our purposes, this topic probably won't be high on artistry.

So what game are you playing now? I just got Far Cry. I know, I'm behind the times.

I'm also still working on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2.

-Tony

2. bicker

bicker Active Member

Oblivion4 is a very pretty game although you really need alot of time too 'get in to it'. Hitman BM was good if a little short. Half-life 2 was just stunning and a thrill too play and the add-on is a nice touch.

As for farcry once you're past the islands it gets a bit repetitive.

3. aboyd

aboyd New Member

I heard Oblivion tends to seem dull after you play it a bit.

On the consoles, my kids & I have been playing Spiderman 2 and Burnout Revenge. I really love Burnout, but my kids are pretty much "meh" about it.

-Tony

4. Verto

Verto New Member

Well Battlefield 2 is nice for multiplayer prposes and Oblivion (eldar scrolls) is good for single pplayer but you are right about Oblivion after about 15 hours of play (not consecutive) it starts to lack the first thrill of seeing the world.

5. cl0ud

cl0ud New Member

Sims 2

that game is so addicting.

6. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

Far cry, eh? One of the best shooters ever IMO. Seemed to go on for ever though - it's a huge game. And I agree with the others, Oblivion does tend to get very 'samey' after a while.

7. brick

brick New Member

I'm a big gamer. My career will probably revolve around video games. My favorite genre is FPS, specifically the HL series, Halo series, and Call of Duty 2. CoD2 was the first time I felt immersed in the intensity of a game.

8. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

Good call, Brick. I loved CoD and CoD2. I still play them online - I'm totally lethal with a kar98k:) .

9. nightscare

nightscare New Member

I like a lot of games but I mostly play survival horror and sometimes FPS My favourite game at the minute is Resident evil 4,though it isn't the best in the series it is a very good game. First resi on ps2 aswell. A very good buy!

10. storyplanet

storyplanet New Member

I mostly play online MMORPGs such as Silkroad Online, Knight Online, Kal online and Thang Global. I also like Halo 2 and Age of Empires Rise of Rome (lol yeah i know that's old but it's fun to make your own scenarios)

i'm also making MY OWN 3D Game :)

11. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I don't do much gaming, but I do a little Xbox Live games such as Halo 2 and Ghost Recon.

12. pengwenn

pengwenn New Member

I'm a huge gamer . . . and a girl to boot. I have so many games but I haven't finsihed very many of them 'cause new ones I want to play keep coming out. I play Star Wars Battlefront on Xbox almost every night online. There's a great bunch of guys I play with that makes the gaming sessions a blast. I'm losing a lot of sleep lately 'cause I just don't want to stop playing and go to bed.

13. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

I'm primarily a tabletop gamer, and each one of those is an art. As a GM you're setting up an entire world for your players to move around in.

Good GMs are worth their weight in gold-pressed latnium.

Also, I play the Final Fantasy series, and if you don't think those are works of art, you aren't paying (or playing) attention.

I love FF and KH.

14. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

I'm into the classics. I'm still into fallout, fallout 2, and fallout tactics.

I just passsed American McGee's Alice for the first time... Like most video games it had a dissapointing story and a crappy climax.

Every once in a while I move into other and more recent stuff, but Kingdom Hearts was a big let down, Final Fantasy and Goofy don't mix.

There's all sorts of stuff that I fiddle with for about a week and then I'm spent.

As for if video games are artsy. I think they can be.

Doom 3 was a work of art, but the morons who wrote it made a crappy ending.

In my opinion there are two types of climaxes. There are action climaxes, and there are plot oriented climaxes.

(Seeing as not all stories are action oriented, I had to conclude with something like that).

With a video game, I think there's only one true way to make a climax.

Video Games are a constant action climax in the gameplay and the joy of playing -- so it's not smart to come up with an action climax unless you KNOW it'll beat what the player has already gone through. It's my opinion that the only true way to end a video game is with a plot oriented climax and Doom 3 didn't do that.

As you progress through Far Cry, you'll discover some of the same sort of thing. Everything gets unrealistically wacky (like most video games and their stories) and it has more of an action oriented climax with a predictable ending.

They need REAL people writing the stories for video games. Even Half-Life suffers from this stuff.

I hate seeing a beautiful video engien... only to wind up with a crapy story.

15. Jolly

Jolly New Member

Anyone ever play Shadow of the Colossus? Personally its one of my favorite games to date. I know it lacks replayability after perhaps the second go around, but it really a wonderful game to play.

16. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

WoW for me. World of Warcraft.

I am also an Age of Empires fan..god I love those games!

The resident evil series - loved those!!!

17. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

I've been gaming for about 20 years now - have played thousands of games and seen all types come and go and my all time favourite series of games has to be the Total War series.

Nothing else even comes close. Come on Medieval Total War II!

18. Felony

Felony New Member

you guys are weird it's all about old school.. N64 with jetforce gemini and mario kart as well as super smah bros...I pawn any1 who plays against me..

19. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

well fallout one and two came out in that time period, I think. And I stated those.

Super Smash Bros. I love that game.