1. Williams123

Williams123 Banned

How to edit a document using microsoft word's track changes feature

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Williams123, Aug 3, 2015.

If you have a document, assignment or dissertation that you would like to proofread, the Microsoft Word's Track Changes feature is an excellent option. You can make changes to the document that are highlighted so the original author can check them and decide whether to accept or reject them one by one. Thus, retaining total control over his/her thoughts, arguments or experiences.
    1.Enable Track Changes and save the document with a new file name. Open the document to be edited with Microsoft Word (version 2007 or 2010), select the Review menu tab in the upper toolbar and then enable Track Changes by clicking the tab so it is highlighted. Then save the document with a new file name, for example filename1.docx, so that you now have two copies of the file (the original filename.docx for reference & filename1.docx which you will work with).
    2.Edit the document, inserting or deleting letters, words, punctuation, etc.Inserted characters will be highlighted and underlined, while deleted characters will be highlighted and struck horizontally through the middle. Comments can be added by highlighting the word or section of text with the cursor (hold left click down and drag to select), in the place where you would like the suggestion to refer to, and then selecting the New Comment tab from the upper Review menu toolbar. A comment window will appear where you can write in feedback for the author about the specific area of text.

Michael Pless likes this.
  2. Michael Pless

Michael Pless Senior Member

Excellent post! I've been using this feature for years in LibreOffice and can vouch that documents edited this way open in Word; I don't know if it goes the opposite way but I can't see why it wouldn't. Comments too, go across perfectly.

I'm a lot happier editing submissions on WF this way and providing a link to them in Dropbox, rather than trying to mess around with colours, etc., in an inline response. (Not sure if the moderators are entirely happy with the idea, though.)

Urban Profanity likes this.
  3. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Track changes works both ways in Libre Office - I can confirm - and I use Word 2000.

However it is the most horrid, hair pulling strangle yourself with your own testicles programme ever invented. Sucks does not truly describe the experience of editing novels with track changes. I'm not sure what does. Unfortunately for all that pain it's still the best system around for swapping documents between an outside editor and yourself!

Cheers, Greg.

Tenderiser likes this.
  4. j7h18

j7h18 Member

Thanks for this! I use Word, so this information should help a lot!