1. TokyoVigilante

TokyoVigilante New Member

Dead Genres

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by TokyoVigilante, Dec 13, 2010.

What are some genres that have been phased out (for whatever reason), but you wish would make a comeback?

Prehistoric Romance - Stories of early man fighting Dinosaurs don't show up very often anymore. If anyone knows of a book like this, please let me know. The closest I've heard of returning to this genre would be Harry Turtledove's little series. But that just has Mammoths.

Sword & Planet - In the mold of "John Carter of Mars", I don't see many stories like these anymore. Which is unfortunate, because they're really whimsical and a lot of fun to read.

The Lost World - It's a shame people think we've seen every square inch of the planet. I miss the Island Full of Dinosaurs stories.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Things like the Bothy Ballads and the oral traditions. I would love to see more stories delivered orally and passed around by word of mouth.

3. Sarah's Mom

Sarah's Mom New Member

Did you miss Jurassic Park? (Should have been named "Cretaceous Park, actually, but anyway....)

If you miss 'em, write 'em.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Sometimes the General Savviness Quotient simply outgrows a genre. Most people today would find a human/dino story a bit difficult to take knowing that humans and dinos did not live at the same time.

It's popularity may have waned, but there is still much in print you can get your hands on. Try Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels. All the Sword & Planet a person could ask for! :)

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

No one writes epistolary novels anymore. I'm not really lamenting this fact, but it qualifies as a (virtually) dead genre. Every now and again one will pop up, but considering it was once the default for novels, I'd say that's as close to dead as a genre can be.

6. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté New Member

This made me think immediately of Bridget Jones... but since that kind of defined epistolary for the modern generation, I doubt there will be another one soon... :/

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

YA/Junior literature is running with the diary style.