1. Blackwood

Blackwood New Member

Do you imagine music/sound when you read?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Blackwood, Jan 8, 2012.

I was sat reading the ending of I Am Legend the other day, and in the last few pages where Neville is awaiting his execution I starting to imagine a small instrumental tune playing over the pictures in my mind. Nothing extravagant of course, just some violin and piano theme tune I've probably picked up subconsciously from watching LOST so often :p. However, it did make me wonder if other people imagine music or even sound when they are reading a book? Maybe by imagining these extra elements I'm missing out on the simple joy of reading and distracting myself from the strength of the medium.

Idk. Anyone else experience this?

2. Phantom_Of3

Phantom_Of3 New Member

Yeah, I've experienced it before too. I don't think it takes away from your reading, though. If anything, it adds to it. It makes it more like a movie, and isn't the point of reading to make a "movie" in which the director is you, the actors are your "projections" (to quote Inception), and the TV screen is your mind?