1. Jonp

Jonp New Member

Handkerchief favours

Discussion in 'Research' started by Jonp, Apr 25, 2011.

I've been having trouble tracking down all the information on this, the old fashioned practice where a woman would give a handkerchief to a man (usually a soldier) who would wear it as a memento when going into battle.

That's rather vague but it's really all I've been able to find on it. What I'm looking for ideally is what it's called, what it symbolises, if there were other occasions it was practiced (i.e. when the man was not going to battle) and what time periods it was common.

Any help would be fantastic, google has let me down for once.

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

"In the Middle Ages ladies presented men with their handkerchiefs to show their favor. Decorated with luxury embroidery, silver and golden fibers and fringes, the handkerchiefs were practiced to perform church and coronation ceremonies. However, the bloom of vogue occurred during the Renaissance. And handkerchiefs had become an essential part of any upscale wardrobe." I found this on Huntsville Antiques. Don't know if it helps...

Haha... actually I now know FAR more about handkerchiefs than I ever really wanted to :p I'm going to send you a link :)

3. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Look up 'favours' and 'jousting'.

4. Jonp

Jonp New Member

Thank you very much! The link is helpful. And gosh aren't handkerchiefs fascinating!

5. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

You're welcome :) They're certainly more fascinating than I would have ever imagined.