Tags:
  1. JMPI

JMPI New Member

New sci fi writer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JMPI, Apr 28, 2019.

Hello! Just started to write and wanted to see what advice I could glean from others in the process. I'm doing sci fi for my first book and I'll figure out whether there'll be a second book when I see how this goes. Read some stuff about formatting, plot structure, story lines and such... then just started writing with zero rhyme or reason. So far that seems to be working - I have about 600 pages now and haven't finished. Can't wait to see how it ends though!!

Things I'm struggling with - character development, story line, and continuity. I thought I'd have problem with dialogue but that seems to have resolved itself.

Anyway! Here I am!

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. I think you'll find LOTS of our members are sci-fi writers and fans, so you'll be in really good company.

In fact, we often have excellent short story entries in our monthly contests that are sci-fi oriented. If you want to have some fun, right away, you could do worse than visit the current contests, have a read at what's there, and vote for your favourite. The authors (who are anonymous till after the contest is over) really appreciate the votes. It's a well-loved part of the forum. You're welcome to enter a story yourself, if you like. Most of the contests are prompted, but there are a few each year that are prompt-free, so any topic will do.

Anyway, before you get started, PLEASE read our New Member Start Guide and our Forum Rules. There aren't a lot of rules, and the rules we have do make sense. However, you do need to become familiar with how things get done, and what doesn't get done!

Also be aware that there are a few requirements that must be met before a new member can post their work for feedback in any of the Workshops. (It is not allowed to post your work anywhere else on the forum, except in contests.) New members often think they can post their work right away—which they can't. Please read the New Member Start Guide to get familiar with the requirements for posting your work.

Anyway, that aside, please feel free to join in on any of the threads that interest you. Take your time to get to know the place and make friends. It's a lot of fun.

Here are the links to the Rules and New Member Guide. However, they can also be found in the Information section on the forum's top menu bar. Do explore our menu bar. There is a lot of stuff hidden away there.

Take care, and see you around. Cheers, Jan

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

Zombie Among Us likes this.
  3. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

@JMPI Welcome.... I'm a sci-fi fan but write historical novels. Maybe I could tie the two together sometime.
    Anyways there are a lot of knowledgeable people here and you'll grow with their help.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Zombie Among Us likes this.
  4. JMPI

JMPI New Member

"Historical sci fi"! Now that sounds interesting. I've read a couple stories about time travelers and then there's Cowboys and Aliens. Let me think about that...

Thundair and Zombie Among Us like this.
  5. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

Another sci-fi writer here. Good to have you with us.

6. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

Hiya, sunshine! Hope you're very happy here x

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Yay! Sci-Fi !! :D

8. almostvoid

almostvoid Member

my firs
    my first novel took years to finish. I was working then and well life kept on getting in the way. so I wrote on my days off during the week [working weekends helped there]. don't worry about how to structure the story---because you know the plot the big one anyway---you'll find as you go along characters changing new ones popping into your head--and then inspiration! an idea out of the blue that fixes some character stuck going nowhere and suddenly without even thinking the solution comes to you. 600 is a good effort. overwriting is better than underwriting---but again one of my girlfriend at uni had trouble always writing the amount of words required in an essay---so everyone's different. ah yes endings--so many supposedly good writers can't do endings. there are too many to quote. or the endings are truly woeful--one reason I started off myself---then when finished out came another and now on to the third---with a real real real ending... the others more wrapped up plot and story which is a must in a way. but you may surprise yourself and have two endings---