1. Gheala_InFlacari

Gheala_InFlacari New Member

Boring plot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Gheala_InFlacari, Jul 27, 2009.

I'm having a problem with my novel's plot. For some reason, I'm now in chapter seven and still am not sure of the plot.

It's romantic thriller of a 19 years old guy who has the desire for revenge, after his mother died, until he meets a girl whom he falls in love with.

It's a very very simple plot, maybe even cliché'. Though, it's more about emotions and memories more than events of a thriller.
    Is it boring? Too old for a good plot

I used to write another novel, a vampire romance about sanguinarians or mortal vampires who have a fetish for blood, yet they aren't mythical.

Help me out here. Should I change the plot? >.< I wrote six chapters and it's painful to throw those away. What do you think?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Cliche means nothing. A plot can be the most overused idea, and yet if it's done well and differently, then it can be a complete success. Look at Harry Potter. Do you really think JK Rowling is the first person to have written stories about a trainee wizard?

What I suggest you do, is try to plan out a loose outline of how you want the novel to progress. You don't have to follow it religiously, but it will give you an idea of where you're trying to get to, and how to get there.

3. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

You said your story is mostly about emotions and memories. In a story like that, I think readers aren't looking for a nifty new idea. They're looking for characters they can love and root for as they work out their problems. Don't be discouraged--I would definitely take Banzai's advice and put together an outline, though. Even if you don't follow it, at least you can have a rough idea of where you're going.

4. Gheala_InFlacari

Gheala_InFlacari New Member

Thanks. Yea, I think it's more about the characters and how they'd struggle to solve their problems. You know, like Vampire Chronicles for Anne Rice: It isn't really about vampires or blood fetish, but more about human nature and the attempt to understand it while struggling to live as an immortal.
    Thanks a lot, You got my hopes up.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Make sure you understand the difference between storyline and plot. That will probably help you develop your story all by itself.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

6. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

I'm so happy I was able to help! :-D