1. nightscare

nightscare New Member

What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nightscare, Sep 8, 2006.

Not too sure if this should go in book reviews but I guess if the what are you listening to thread is here then I guess it makes sense to put this here.

Right simple really,what are you currently reading? Me? I am reading Bag of bones by stephen king(Just finshed 1984! Great book! I might review it sometime) Anyway Bag of bones is your typical stephen king book with chills,thrills but no spills!:p

2. Verto

Verto New Member

Tornado down by John Peters and John Nichol.

I have only read the first 100 pages, so I am just getting into it.

3. lioness1612

lioness1612 New Member

I am reading

A Breath of Snow and Ashes By Diana Gabaldon

4. Peter

Peter New Member

The Complete Short Stories, Franz Kafka.

Only read the first three stories so far (Description of a Struggle, Wedding Preparations in the Country, The Jugment). Thought A Description of a Struggle, despite being humorous at times, was far too long. Wedding Preparations in the Country was all right, good opening but again was lacking in Kafka's renowned brevity. The Jugment is a masterpiece, though. I read it a while back and it's still one of my favourite short stories. Georg's father standing on the bed touching the ceiling has to be one of the most hilarious yet terrifying images in Expressionist literature, all literature for that matter. The Metamorphosis is the next story.

5. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Some books I recently finished:

Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher
    Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

Both were excellent.

6. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

Zed, by Elizabeth McClung

<amazon link>

7. storyplanet

storyplanet New Member

The Ellie Chronicles Part one by John Marsden

Tomorrow Series Add on thing.

8. Aurorah

Aurorah New Member

I'm nearly finished reading Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. I'm then going to start reading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Has anyone else read any of these? I've noticed a few King fans here...

9. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I'm now starting Cell by Stephen King... looks like it's gonna get good.

10. smebro

smebro New Member

On my bus ride to work I'm currently reading H.P. Lovecrafts 'Omnibus 1, at the mountains of madness, upto the scond story 'The case of Charles Dexter Ward', Loving it. I end up reading it all day long between calls at work, Giving myself short reading breaks.
    And on the bustrip home, for inspiration, 'On Writing' By the king. Just read 'Danse Macarbe' so its interesting noticing what 20 years does to a guy, to an Author guy especially.
    Its all part of my self enforced routine ensuring I stick to my 2,000 words a night typing. Got to read to be inspired, and unfortunitly it seems I have to work to have the rigidity I need to be creative(Only found this out myself recently, when I take time off, I loose creative drive, Im sure unemployment would fix that.)

11. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

Okay, most of you are going to call me insane, but I am reading the book "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini for the seventh time. The reason for the seventh time is because I have to do a literary analysis on it for sophomore english class. Yes, Eragon and Eldest are my favorite books, and Chris Paolini really inspired me to persue writing a little further because what he accomplished.

12. Esaul

Esaul New Member

I like the books and all, but the thing I hate is people claiming I got the idea of my story from the two books when I started before it came on shelves where I live.

Right now I'm reading Wizard's First Rule for the second time by Terry Goodkind.

13. ElvishPenguin12

ElvishPenguin12 New Member

Yea, I might sound like a dork, but oh well. I just finished reading the best fan ficiton I've ever read. It's based on InuYasha. I actually spent 2 days straight reading it. I just couldn't stop. It's got kind of an unexpected storyline, but it's definitely easy to get into. If anyone is interested, they can go here:

Tales from the House of the Moon

I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of InuYasha. And even to people who don't even know what InuYasha is. It's not entirely reliant on the show, so you won't really be that confused if you've never seen even a single episode.

I'm also considering going back and reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy again. Or maybe The Silmarallion. I do so love Tolkien. :D

14. Sigur Ros

Sigur Ros New Member

I'm sitting in a tin can, far above the world
    As I Lay Dying- William Faulkner

15. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

I used to read my favorite books over and over again too.

I should be reading World Enough & Time by Robert Penn Warren, but I'm rereading Dzur by Steven Brust again.

16. Verto

Verto New Member

Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose

17. DagunZain

DagunZain New Member

I've enjoyed the Dark Tower series, though I haven't seen 5-7 yet, might just be me. I finished 4 about six months ago, and as WOAH as the plot is in the series, I'd need to reread all of them just to get #5.

18. jumbowumbo

jumbowumbo New Member

magic street by Orson Scott Card
    and
    Dave Barry Does Japan- Halarious

19. kalibantre

kalibantre New Member

Currently reading Lord of the Rings, Return of the King. I have to read it for university but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Strange I'm not into fantasy really. Though eager to learn all I can about writing.

20. pengwenn

pengwenn New Member

I'm about 1/2 way through Runes of the Earth by Stephen R. Donaldson

21. Verto

Verto New Member

Return of the king is a great book, but the hobbit is the best. (out of middle earth fantasy)

22. herminehaller

herminehaller New Member

London Fields - Martin Amis

I've only just started and am on the second chapter. I'm not sure about it yet. Before that I was reading Walking on Glass - Iain Banks which fell down a bit at the end.

23. redmittengirl

redmittengirl New Member

lioness, i read almost all the jamie and claire stories...i'd be interested in what you have to say about this one. i lost it somewhere on my bookshelves, waiting to be read.

aurorah...can't comment on stephen king's books but i did read the memoirs of a geisha sometime ago. so good!..so much better than the movie, but then i say that about most movies vs. books..

i am reading High Tide in Tucson by Barbara Kingsolver. (essays). her outlook on life, nature, mankind has me wanting to underline ever other paragraph.

redmittengirl

24. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

The Secret Garden. I saw the film, but I reckon books can be better than films.

25. lioness1612

lioness1612 New Member

I loved each and every story of the series... A Breath of Snow and Ashes (the last of these) was absolutly wonderful. Diana Gabaldon has a way of sucking you into the story, and brining to the characters to life. A great read! She is supposed to be writing another one about Jamie and Clair, and I am unpatiently waiting.

Right now I am reading The Dead Zone - Stephen King