1. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!

Promoting a book with branded clothing

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Cdn Writer, May 1, 2021.

A quick question for members and visitors, has anyone in here ever heard of promoting a new book via a t-shirt?

You know, how music acts have t-shirts with their logos on them?

Would such a thing work for a book?

"Book Title"

Graphic (same idea as the book cover)

"By _______ & _________"

"Available at www.________.com & Wherever fine books are sold"

Any thoughts on this?

I'm just thinking of ways by which interest in a book can be drummed up. This seems like one manner which hasn't been done - to my knowledge - and it might be interesting.

It could make for an interesting gift for family along with a copy of the book and it might spark interest in the book from other people who ask..."What's that...? How's the book? Oh...I'd better buy a copy!!!"

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

you'd have to have fans to wear them... thats kinda sine qua non for music too....and people have got to be fair super fans to buy a tee shirt... you don't really get screaming fan mobs for authors... at least not unless you're a massive best seller

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Yeah, I remember when we'd see celebrities wearing shirts for the movie Snatch when it first came out. But I mean, it was people like Madonna and major movie stars, and we'd see them in interviews and other appearances. That's very different from half a dozen normal people wearing a shirt with a title on it nobody ever heard of. If you could send out free shirts to celebrities and somehow convince them to actually wear them and talk about the book in interviews etc, that would be different.

Plus, just the word Snatch on a shirt grabs the attention immediately (especially when worn by sexy celebs), and makes you want to find out what it's all about. Your title would need to be as immediately attention-grabbing.

4. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I've seen authors do that, though they are definitely bestsellers and the merch is mostly bought by super fans. I'm not sure how much effort it would be. I've seen one who, instead of having a personal store, used a website that hosted/printed/handled sales. For instance, "T Shirt Studio" or "Society 6" are places that offer that type of thing--you provide the design and they handle the sales, printing, and shipping.

5. marshipan

Well, think I may give this idea a go, simply because it seems like it's no cost. I'm going with Teespring. Looks like you can do full color designs (I poked around another site called bonfire but it altered my cover image to be B&W and super low quality) and it's free to have 50 items listed. There are a lot of product options. You can order samples at a "base cost" but unsure about bulk ordering at base cost... Anyway, not sure when I'll list products but I'll keep this thread in mind when that goes down.

But first, I need to make sure the licensed stock photos I use for covers allow me to make merchandise...

Looks like I can't do this unless I upgrade the license I have. I use standard license on my stock photos and need extended...

Update:
    $89 for a single extended license photo means I won't be using any of my covers for merchandise. Guess that answers the question of why I haven't seen anyone else in my niche selling t-shirts with their cover.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  6. Cdn Writer

TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    My plan was to find someone who always posts on r/commissions at Reddit to do the book cover, depending on the cost. I am not sure how the copyright stuff works - if I hired someone to design a book cover and it is put on a book cover, I'm pretty sure the $____ whatever I pay covers the copyright in that I can use that piece of art/design for my book without on-going payments to someone.

When it comes to taking the same design and putting it on t-shirts and then sending them out to my first purchasers as an "extra" for buying the book(s) or wearing it myself while going around town and maybe being photographed in it during an author "meet'n'greet", that I am not sure of.

In your case, you pay a fee to use stock photos for your book covers. The extended fee, is that per shirt? As in you have to pay $89 for each shirt you order that has your book cover on it? Or is it a one time payment and you can use that specific cover on an unlimited number of t-shirts?

Thanks!!

7. Cdn Writer

Just curious, I'm a hard of hearing/deaf guy and slang is one of my struggles. Part of the curiosity here is that the word "snatch" is a slang term for a woman's private parts, right?

Xoic likes this.
  8. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Yep. Pretty attention-grabbing when Madonna and Rosanna Arqeutte and Brad Pitt are wearing it. (or whoever it was). It can go viral, and maybe it did, I don't know.

9. marshipan

$89 is a one time fee for the extended license of the photo. It gives you permission to pretty much use it any way you please. The standard license I paid for was .40 (cents). Big leap in cost. In the cover I was thinking of using, I used six stock photos. There's a discount when buying more than one but that's still close to $500. Then there is the font. Mine is 100% free commercial use so no issues there.

But yeah that is way too pricey for something I'm unlikely to make any money on. I'll probably design some stuff at some point but it will not use stock photos. Quotes or hand drawn images.

10. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

I was actually just thinking about that in the shower.
    But as a fanatic band-shirt wearer (you won't believe the rules I have on wearing a shirt) I feel the scheme of "bandname/writer - album/book cover - title" doesn't really work for me. I prefer a recognizable logo with the bandname. Obviously it can be related to a specific album, but usually a detailed square in the middle of your torso won't make things any clearer for the beholder, unless we're talking Iron Maiden covers.
    When it comes down to it, you want integrate any artwork into the shirt, as opposed to sticking it on a shirt.

One other good way to get people asking about your shirt is going a little more tongue-in-cheek. Once you get someone laughing, they'll usually end up talking.

Then there's the quote option, provided you have something good you can use. You put the quote in an eye catching font, on the chest, and the title and author below it.
    "Don't panic."
    - Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (Douglas Adams)

Whatever you do, mind the position of the print. Specifically the back. Long hair will obscure text.
    And make sure it's able to draw attention in the brief moment someone passes by. Much like advertising along the highway, I'm not gonna be able to read phone number, email, website and their mother's maiden name when I'm blasting by at Judas Priest-velocity. But if my eye catches one or two interesting words, possibly presented by an attractive lady, I will remember to google it when I get home.

Anyway, this is all just a roundabout way of saying that I think t-shirts aren't a bad idea.