Tags:
  1. Kaptain

Kaptain New Member

Hey.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kaptain, May 17, 2008.

My name is Kaptain or Captain, either works. ;]

I am very new here, and I am in need of harsh critiques and reviews. I show my short stories and paragraphs to friends in real life, and they grin and smile. They tell me that my stories are "awesome," "good," or "great"; I need a real critique, though I appreciate their sweetness. :] :love:

My writing style is very descriptive, and it usually carries a dark undertone. I almost always write in first-person. I enjoy watching people and their mannerisms, and in stories I like to capture my exact thoughts from analyzing the mannerisms of those around me and put them into a fictional character.

I hardly ever stray from general fiction. I wrote fantasy when I was little. The closest I come to nonfiction is the use of historical allusions. I can do third person, but first person is my preference. I nearly forgot second person existed until recently.

I hope you will enjoy my stories, and I love to give reviews, so this place seems like I great place to start. I want to thank Houliem for referring me. :]

2. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Hello there, Kaptain. My name is Mousie. :) I'm new here, too.

I know what you mean - my best friend never gives me a real critique, but people here will. And they won't be all mean about it like people on other writing forums.

Your writing sounds a lot more thoughtful than mine. I write first-person, too, but my main characters are usually kinda spacey and dense :p

You can stick to general fiction? Wow. I've tried that, but I can't write anything without throwing in a monster or two. What kind of general fiction do you write? Is it romance or comedy or a buncha different stuff piled together?

Sorry, I'm a little annoying. I'm not very good at making friends on my own :redface:

3. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Welcome :)

4. Kaptain

Kaptain New Member

M o u s i e:

I bet your first person stories are great. I'd love to read them. I love monsters, too, but I don't think I could portray them well in a story. Teach me, maybe? :love:

As for what type of fiction I write, I write about dysfunctional or unlikely romances between people. I favorite writing in the Victorian era; I know a lot about it, and I often wish I was born in that time period. So elegant. I've never written a comedy, and my stories could be placed under "horror" as well. They involve a lot of gore and death, but nothing unbearable. I want all people to enjoy my stories.

And I don't think you're annoying at all. I'd like to be your friend. :] I love when people ask questions. They're extremely fun to answer.

5. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Hey there :) Welcome to WF.org.

6. Houliem

Houliem New Member

Welcome!

Can't wait to see your first submission.

I know it's going to be amazing. >]

7. Mousie

Mousie New Member

I'm working on a story right now that I'm probably going to post in the next couple of days. It's about a guy who thinks his new friend is a vampire :) My monsters are normally more monstery, though - I use a lot of gargoyles and imps and things with three eyes. It's really easy, actually :)

I'd like to write romance, but seeing as I've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend in my entire life, that's pretty much impossible for me :p And I don't know much about the Victorian era other than they wore really cool clothes, but I've got a friend who knows everything about everything about history (and that's not an exaggeration - it's a little scary, actually).

I don't write comedy either, but I've been told that some of my dialogue is kind of funny (which is weird, 'cause I think my characters are kind of annoying). I used to try writing "dark" and "gorey" when I was in middle school, but I wasn't very good at it, so I stopped. Now I just write modern-day fairytale-type stories. I'm such a little girl :p

Thanks - I'd like to be your friend, too :love:

8. Kaptain

Kaptain New Member

H o u l i e m:

Psh, I can't wait to see yours.

I'll probably faint or something from its goodness. :]

9. Kaptain

Kaptain New Member

M o u s i e:

Sounds awesome. Is he actually a vampire? Or do I have to wait and see? :] Speaking of vampires, I just recently finished watching Queen of the Damned. It was pretty good. Are you a fan of Anne Rice?

The kind of monsters I like are gorey and have like seven eyeballs, and they have large claws and deformed backs, and matted fur. I actually think they are cute. Gargoyles are pretty awesome as well.

I've never been in love, but I write about it a lot! Try writing romance for once. It's really fun. I love writing about people and how they court each other, and I love to describe how they win each other's affection.

Funny dialogue is fun to read. I love sarcastic first-person works. I'd love to find a good book full of it. Actually, I'm just in need of a good book period. Any suggestions? I saw this book called Freaks that I'd love to read today in a book store.

10. Mousie

Mousie New Member

You'll have to wait and see ;) I've never heard of Queen of the Damned, but I started an Anne Rice book a long time ago. I don't remember which one, though, 'cause I lost the book.

I think the really "gorey" monsters are cute, too, but I don't like it when they're evil for no reason in particular. Maybe that's why I give my monsters really cutesy names, like Pumpkin and Hiccup :p

I used to write romance a lot in middle school, but I stopped when I remembered I'd never been in love :D I do have one story that has a kind of one-sided romance thing - the main character has a crush on this really timid girl with glasses who everyone else just sorta passes off as a geek because she reads and wears glasses. But I think she had a crush on this horribly deformed, home-schooled kid who lived across the street from her or something, and the main character creeped her out a little, so nothing really happened. It was pretty fun, though - writing about the "hero's" unsucessful attempts at winning her over. And the parts with her and the deformed kid were kinda cute, even if they were probably kinda cheesy :p

If you want a funny first-person story, I suggest "John Dies At The End" by David Wong. Best book I've ever read, period. You can read it online, but I think the online version is slightly different from the novel version. I can't really describe what it's about, so I'll just copy what it says on the back cover...

11. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Hi and welcome.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hullo Kaptain, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

13. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Hello!!!

Welcome to the forum...:)

Hope to see you around.

14. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Hiya, welcome to the forum :)

15. Kaptain

Kaptain New Member

Thank you all for your warm welcomes. Cogito, you're a big help. :love: