1. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Calling all brewmasters.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by garmar69, Dec 31, 2008.

Just curious how many members have brewed their own beer or wine. If you have or are currently, how do you do it? In small batches like a Mr. Beer keg or large ones that could fuel a college frat party.

Or just the odd container with a balloon on top. :D

I haven't for a while now, but when I did, it was in a Mr Beer 2 gallon keg and bottled in swing top Grolsh bottles. I brewed many kinds--always from grain, never from a can--hate wheat beer but loved pale ales.

So, how about you guys?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I made wine when I was a teenager, in one-gallon batches (mostly). Burgundy and a couple others from extracts, raisin, peach, pear, and elderberry wines, amd dandelion wine.

In the last couple of decades I've brewed beer, though, in 5-6 gallon batches. I've made brown ale, dunkel, India Pale Ale, Scotch Ale, Lager, and a few others. I prefer ales with a strong hop character (more toward aroma over bitterness). There aren't as many local suppliers as there used to be, though, so it has been a while since I started a new batch.

3. garmar69

You've had far more experience with brewing than me, that's for sure. I think I'll get back into it soon.

I prefer the ales myself and especially like the ones with Cascade hops. The last batch I made I did a second fermentation. It was kind of a PITA because I didn't have a second container for it. So I disinfected a stainless steel pan. Luckily I didn't taint the final product. It turned out fantastic!

I'm lucky to have a health food store just 9 miles away that sells everything--like grains and hop--I need. Plus there is the 'net for supplies like rubber seals and such.

Do you use the normal disinfecting procedures, or use One Step?

4. Cogito

I cleanse the poly buckets and the carboy with clorox. Bottles I wash with a dilute clorox solution, them rinse thorroughly and sterilize in a 275 degree oven. Rubber seals I boil in water for about ten minutes, but I mostly use crown caps anyway.

5. Nedjes

Nedjes New Member

My sister and brother-in-law are constantly brewing up different beers. Last I checked, they were working on a cranberry stout. Should either kick butt, or suck. heh.

Me, I'm lucky enough to live in a place surrounded by several micro-breweries, and I'm on a campus with a pub. I don't need to brew. ;)

6. Cogito

This is a typical label from one of my batches - Cavort Moon is the name I use for all my brews:

[​IMG]

7. garmar69

I never got that far with my brewing to make labels, though I did design one that I can't post here because it's on my old computer.

Cherry ale sounds good! Does it actually have cherry flavor or does that refer to the color?

8. Raven

Raven Banned

I'm too lazy. It's easier to buy the stuff then drink it.

Goddame making it makes drinking it sound complicated.

C'mon its beer were talking here.

9. Cogito

The cherry Ale was made with cherries as a flavor ingredient. The cherry character wasn't very strong though.

10. garmar69

It's not really as complicated as it seems. Getting everything sanitized was always the hardest work for me. The satisfaction of making it yourself is quite nice. I just couldn't make enough to suit me ! :D

So yeah, I was at the store everyday buying more...

Damn Cog... it still sounds like some yummy brew!

11. Raven

Raven Banned

Darn it Garmer. Making it is complicated. goddame Beer is for drinking only. weres that warrior spirit now. ;)

12. Cogito

Yes, but if society collapses, Garmar and I will have a skill in high demand!

Seen the news lately?...

13. Raven

Raven Banned

LMAO.

Well Garmer owes me free booze so I guess I won't be paying Just ask Orim. ;)

14. garmar69

Yeah, just wait... ol' Skraal is gonna have a severe case of coyote arm if Orim has anything to do with it. ;)

It's good to know I'll have a place in the world after the other shoe drops.

Drink anyone? :D

15. Raven

Raven Banned

Ha, Orim will be too busy drinking his warm milk before bed time. And even then begging his ma' for more. :p

16. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

I've made my own beer and wine, and once I made rum. Now, however, I choose to leave brewing to the masters and buy my fine Scotch or Tequila. I guess if I owned my own place I would think about setting up some homebrew options, but not now. Making rum was fun, and if anyone gets a chance, setting up a distillery is an cool endeavor.

17. garmar69

I've never made any of the hard stuff. How did it turn out?

LMAO! Got me again...

18. Cogito

You have to be careful with distilling. Unless you know what you're doing, you can end up concentrating methanol in the distillate - a potentially fatal mistake.

19. garmar69

I watched a cool PBS show about moonshiners a couple years ago that went into that. Some folks have gone blind from bad popskull, or rotgut as some called it. Bad news. Like your saying better know what your doing...

20. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I had friends in Gainesville Florida who brewed (?) and bottled mead. There is a large SCA following in Gainesville and they would sell out during festivals.

21. garmar69

I've never brewed any mead. I've heard that it's quite easy to make though. Never drank any either.