Tags:
  1. Roadblocked Writer

Roadblocked Writer New Member

My pantheon doesn’t make sense.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Roadblocked Writer, May 14, 2020.

I am trying to create a pantheon of quasi-immortal elemental deities to live in my world as tangible very much present rulers. I have a large list of 24 elements, all of which are some aspect of the observable universe (except void that’s more non-material/existence I suppose)

1. Fire
    2. Air
    3. Void
    4. Darkness
    5. Space
    6. Gravity
    7. Light
    8. Time
    9. Water
    10. Earth
    11. Air
    12. Wood
    13. Metal
    14. Stone
    15. Life
    16. Rain
    17. Ocean
    18. River
    19. Cloud
    20. Lightning
    21. Sun
    22. Moon
    23. Stars
    24. Lake

Magic is Based upon either receiving of one of these beings power, or the manipulation of the element over which they reside. My 1st problem is specifically how do I organize this group into a coherent pantheon with both good and evil members? My 2nd problem is that something feels like its missing when I look at the list maybe its the lack of organization, or the lack of classical mythology’s gods of Wisdom, Love, War, Panic, Drunkness, Crafting, Farming etc..

Anyways the short hand of my first post here is this; How would you organize the list of elements seen above, ie who rules who or is opposed to each other? Secondly would you add or remove anything?

Cdn Writer likes this.
  2. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

@Roadblocked Writer You can start with four basic elements: Fire, Water, Air, Earth. Now, these are characteristics:
    Fire - Hot and Dry
    Water - Cold and Wet
    Earth - Cold and Dry
    Air - Hot and Wet

Thus Fire opposes Water (Hot - Cold, Dry - Wet) and Earth opposes Air (Cold - Hot, Dry - Wet).

Your system is much more complex and thus relatively unwieldy. What I would suggest is separating elements into groups, and creating oppositions based on that, as well as reducing number of elements where necessary. For example:

GROUP: ELEMENTS
    - Fire (Hot, Dry, Active) opposes Wood
    - Air (Hot, Wet, Active) opposes Earth
    - Water (Cold, Wet, Active) opposes ???
    - Earth (Cold, Dry, Passive) opposes Air
    - Wood (Cold, Wet, Passive) opposes Fire
    - Metal (Cold, Dry, Passive) is same as Earth
    - Stone (Cold, Dry, Passive) is same as Earth
    - Rain (Cold, Wet, Active) is same as Water
    - Ocean (Cold, Wet, Active) is same as Water
    - River (Cold, Wet, Active) is same as Water
    - Cloud (Cold, Wet, Active) is same as Water

GROUP: ENERGIES
    - Gravity cannot be really characterized, so I would remove it
    - Light (Hot, Dry, Active) opposes ???
    - Time cannot be characterized, so removed
    - Void (Cold, Dry, Passive) opposes Life
    - Darkness (Cold, Dry, Passive) is same as Void
    - Space (Cold, Dry, Passive) is same as Void
    - Life (Hot, Wet, Active) opposes Void
    - Lightning (Hot, Dry, Active) is same as Light
    - Sun (Hot, Dry, Active) is same as Light
    - Moon (Cold, Dry, Active) is same as Light
    - Stars (Cold, Dry, Active) is same as Light

Now see what elements overlap and where there are holes. For example, there is no "Cold, Wet, Passive" in Energies, thus Light has no opposition; in Elements, it is Water which lacks opposition - said opposition would be "Hot, Dry, Passive".

Cdn Writer likes this.
  3. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

I'm not sure what exactly about it doesn't make sense.

So, gods don't always have to be strictly good or strictly evil. Pagan gods tended to represent human desires and wants. For example, a desire for a good harvest. They had wants. For example, a god wanting to over throw his or her father wasn't uncommon. Was that god evil? Maybe.

It wasn't uncommon that there would be two deities that looked like they had the same function. For example, Ares and Athena. Both of them were deities of war. But if you look at their mythologies and such, you can see they were very different idea about war. Ares was more the blind, savage destruction of war. Athena also was the Goddess of Wisdom, and Art, so could be said was more about the strategic art of war. Basically fighting with your head to minimize casualties.

As for them having conflicts, you have to decide where they could have conflicts. The sun and the moon and the stars could have a conflict over their space in the heavens, and it was finally negotiated that the Sun, the elder brother, would rule during the day and the moon and the stars, the younger siblings would rule the night.

Cdn Writer, Madman and Xoic like this.
  4. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Are you asking if your pantheon is realistic?

Cdn Writer likes this.
  5. Thorn Cylenchar

Thorn Cylenchar Senior Member

I would avoid having the gods associated with each element opposed to each other just based o
    Couple things: I would avoid having the gods oppose each other just based on their elements. Light opposes dark, fire opposes water has been done to death. What are each god really responsible for? what do they want to accomplish? I would look at that first. The gods may clash with each other due to their personalities/native element, but their goals may be the same.

Secondly, some of these seem to really overlap-Water, Rain, Ocean, River, Lake how do these differ? Or Sun and Stars since technically the sun is a star?

You have free rein to create your pantheon, so get creative. Try to take things in a different than expected direction. For example, you can have the God of Rot and Decay. Seems like someone you would expect to be evil right? Nope, in this world he is the patron god of farmers because without fertilizer(decaying plant matter or animal waste) their fields are dead.

You may want to give the gods two or three elements to avoid them being one dimensional. For example, Ignatius is the God of Fire, Light and Heat, also viewed as the god of passion and creativity and therefore is worshiped as the god of artisans and prostitutes.

Ignatius is the elder twin brother of Ferrea, the god of earth and metal, who is the patron god of blacksmiths. Ignatius' fires are the ones that fuel the great forge of the gods that Ferrea mans, and as such blacksmiths pay tribute to both and frequently have small shrines in their shops to house offerings.

This is just an example but by doing little blurbs like this for each god you can flesh out your pantheon pretty well.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Cdn Writer likes this.