Tags:
  1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Russian geek fandom

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by MilesTro, Sep 11, 2015.

What kind of geek fandom do you think Russia have? In America, we have Star Wars and Star Trek, Britain has Doctor Who, and Japan has Gundam. I know there are more fandoms, but I am curious of what Sci-fi fandom that Russia has.

2. Evangeline Rose

Evangeline Rose New Member

I'm no expert on this at all, but I have seen an article or interview somewhere in which actor Anton Yelchin has commented on the popularity of his Star Trek character, Ensign Pavel Chekov, in Russia. I have no clue what kind of unique geek fandoms they have, though.

3. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I dunno, nowadays aren't we all so connected that fandoms aren't really restricted to their countries of origin? I know tons of American Doctor Who fans. Ditto for Gundam Wing (or pretty much any other anime). Hell, the last time I was in Afghanistan I saw Dragon Ball Z playing on TV, and another time there I saw the old X-Men cartoon series from the early 90s.

I mean, Russia certainly has its own long history of producing sci-fi books/films/etc., but I imagine generally what's popular there is what's popular everywhere else.