1. SylasV

SylasV New Member

A carefully crafted introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SylasV, Jul 24, 2016.

G'day all,

Sylas here, tis a pleasure to meet you all.

I am here to attempt to rekindle a lost passion for writing. 4 years ago I managed to convince myself I wasn't good enough and I was wasting my time writing. Since then I have amassed too many ideas to bottle up in my head. I'm hoping this time I can stay motivated and not derail myself again.

3 facts about me:
    1. I have not read a book of decent length in about 6 years, and have only attempted to read one in that time. Not to say I didn't enjoy it, I did, but I don't enjoy the process of reading, my mind tends to predict too far ahead that I come to my own conclusion to the story and not require the book to tell me a conclusion for I already have one. Perhaps I now have a black mark against my name for such treasonous words. I however think its an interesting position to not enjoy consuming that which I create. Not to say I wont read my own work or that of others, I enjoy critiquing writing... wait facts about me... right.
    2. I get easily distracted. But to continue what I was saying, before I stopped writing I was on a different forum and all I did was read people's work and critique it. To me critiquing and reading are two different things, critiquing is a service for someone else and reading is for personal leisure. I love helping others so critiquing is something I've always passionately toiled over for others.
    3. I am almost always listening to music. (like now)

Of all the genres of writing what fascinates me most is the reasons why people do things or choose things. Quite often a story will come about because of a situation i find interesting, like why would someone help a stranger over a beloved family member and what consequences are there? I suppose I like to play god and bend my characters to my own maniacal will.

What do you like to write about?

Side note: Something that didn't seem important before but does now is that I am 22 years old. I think I'll leave this here though, as out of place and ridiculous as it is. I feel that it sums me up quite well, scatterbrained, disorganized, unfocused, out of place and ridiculous.

Thanks for reading, and sorry this introduction is so badly structured. I thought it best to keep it such a way as it more accurately portrays me, as this is clearly an introduction for me. Not a carefully crafted alternate version of myself.

So have a fantastic bloody day you wonderful new friends!

Sylas

2. A man called Valance

A man called Valance Senior Member

Hello SylasV. Welcome to the site.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, @SylasV, and welcome to the forum! Please check out our New Member Quick Start - it'll get you going around here.

Participate and have fun!

4. Dr. Mambo

Dr. Mambo Contributor Contributor

It's fun, isn't it? Have you tried killing one of them yet? What a rush!

5. SylasV

SylasV New Member

Yeah it's great, I like putting my characters in tough situations. If that situation is one I can't realistically get them out of then they are dead or maimed in some way. I could easily dumb down the threat but then I'm compromising my villain's, villainieness and I refuse to do that. I typically avoid magic as it more often than not gives me an out, I don't want to have an out. I want each situation to have a conclusion, whether that's a victory for the good or bad or some terrible wound, it's a conclusion. Escaping with nothing but shortness of breath is wrong in my mind and shall never happen in my writing other than to drop a piano on them once they think they are safe. To me, there are always consequences, perhaps I'm obsessed with it a bit too much though.

6. Dr. Mambo

Dr. Mambo Contributor Contributor

I'm with you all the way. A story is only intense if the reader thinks there's a chance some horrible ill might befall the likable character(s) and the villain might emerge victorious. As soon as the reader realizes an author is following the traditional story-arc (bad things happen to hero, hero overcomes, villain is defeated, yaaaay) too closely it becomes boring. And there's nothing worse than a boring story.

I look forward to reading your material should you post anything in the workshop.

7. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Welcome aboard!
    Do you know what they call people who don't know/care enough about the technical aspects of writing to see that other writers' work is better than their own?

Not Writers ;)

You know what they call people who try to stop writing, but don't have the willpower to resist?

Writers :D

Sounds like you create fan fiction every time you read something. Have you ever considered writing fan fiction in addition to original work?

Even if nobody ever reads your fanfics, that could still be a good mind-hack for convincing yourself think of "your" conclusions as something separate that you love "in addition to" the original work instead of something that you love "instead of" the original.

Nice, me too. What kind of music?

Spoiler alert: that's a good thing ;) Have you ever looked at MyersBriggs personalities?

You too!