1. Malkhalifa

Malkhalifa New Member

Informing the reader and setting the pace

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Malkhalifa, Feb 3, 2013.

I'm using a software, to record all the vital info that I decide will go into the final story. I have an oversized noticeboard, strings and thumbtacks I use for mind mapping the different plot strings and use a phone app for a mind maps to have a portable version in case i have a eureka moment. I'm also creating detailed character profiles for each major character, and as a result characters I didn't think of as important at the start suddenly have a grander purpose.

are there other methods you guys recommend to grease the cogs?

Now i have a wealth of information and I'm trying to figure out the best way to divulge it. When you have the major chunks laid out, how do you decide when to give the reader vital info and how? how do you balance between "too much, too soon" and "too little, too late"?

There's elements of conspiracy and investigation, so I want to deliver that info with intrigue and attitude. I know i'm being vague, but I'm just looking for pointers in your collective experiences.

thanks (I know my grammar is off here, been awake since 4 AM.)

2. Caesari

Caesari New Member

I don't think it is allowed to post and endorse specific writing software on this site.

3. Malkhalifa

Malkhalifa New Member

Noted, Edited.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

First, I don't need, or want, to be greased.

However, to the main point. I don't need extra software to keep track of vital info. I have the manuscript itself for that, plus the fact that nearly every sentence I type into the manuscript is engraved into my brain as well. Even if I am fuzzy on a detail, I know where it is in the manuscript. If its a planning or research note, or a detail I might forget, I have a companion document of notes. My notes are just a couple pages at most, but other writers may use complete outlines. No matter,still no need for more than a couple docs and a manuscript.

5. Malkhalifa

Malkhalifa New Member

I think my post was unclear. Mods, may you delete this thread? thanks.