1. Safety Turtle

Safety Turtle Senior Member

General questions about beta reading.

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Safety Turtle, Sep 18, 2016.

I've seen the term "beta reader" being used a lot, especially in the collaboration forum and as someone new to writing and the "community" I have a few questions about it.

From what I can gather it's about find a group of people to read your work and give feedback, but how does it actually work?
    Do finish writing your current project and then have someone read through it, after edits and all that? or is it more having people read un-edited, first drafts, maybe even on a chapter by chapter basis?

Like I said, I'm new to writing, especially original, novel lenght and have just started my first project and found that I'm very insecure about my writing, story etc and like the idea of getting feedback on what I'm doing, and to also have someone to sort of bounce ideas off of, get a "readers perspective" that isnt my own.
    Would that a "suitable job" for a beta reader or is it something else I would need for that?

I do hope to have it published one day so I'm not to keen on sharing too much in a public way as I've been told that can really hurt your chances.

Hope my questions and concerns are expressed clearly enough.

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

It sounds like you're looking for an alpha reader - someone to read your unpolished drafts. Some people call them critique partners. I send my chapters to CPs as soon as they're finished, warts and all, to get feedback on the basics: the plot, the characters, motivation. I'll worry about the actual wording when I know I have the basics right.

Beta readers are the next stage - they read when your work is complete and as polished as you can get it.

These terms aren't set in stone. Some critique partners are alpha readers, some are beta. Plenty of writers don't know what an alpha reader is, and will ask for beta readers for their unpolished drafts.

Your best bet is to hang around and post until you can make a thread in Collaboration, and lay out what you need: the genre, a brief description, how polished it is, what kind of feedback you want. There are other websites too, but I've never had much success finding readers elsewhere.

Also, you do not need to pay for any type of alpha/beta read. On Goodreads for example, if you post in the beta reading group you will get dozens of messages offering their paid services. They don't do a better job than free beta readers, and it's a waste of money.

Elven Candy and Lifeline like this.
  3. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I might add to @Tenderiser s good advice, that searching for Alpha/Beta readers here in WF is real rewarding. The people around here are friendly and don't look to tear you apart which, on some other sites, is sometimes accepted practice (that's not to say that getting teared a new one is not what one might need at one stage :rolleyes: but it IS uncomfortable *sigh*).

I am extremely lucky here with my critique partners/Alphas, and all suggestions I have gotten were helpful, considerate and very thorough in their own way, whatever I asked, be it technical/realism stuff - Alpha-Zero, hear me? :D - flow/pacing or characterisation and the reader's perspective, it always is enlightening to get their comments.

Hang on, and gift yourself with the same level of partnerships :)

Edit: You don't need to post in collaboration if you just make friends. The offers will come!

Elven Candy likes this.
  4. Safety Turtle

Safety Turtle Senior Member

Thank you very much, it cleared up the subject a whole lot for me ^^