Tags:
  1. StormbornT

StormbornT Member

Betas for Outline/Story

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by StormbornT, Oct 31, 2019.

Is it possible to get betas for the sole purpose of looking over an outline or three page plot blurb? I'm not sure if this is a thing or not.
    I've not yet started writing my new WIP, but I wanted some input on how the story might progress based on the outline, and if it's cohesive or not. I tend to write as a punster. This is my first time doing in-depth plotting and I feel like my head is going to explode.

2. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

I don't think that's worthwhile. Any story is worth telling if you do it well. I see a lot of inexperienced writers who are worried about "wasting time" telling a story that won't sell. Nothing is a waste of time if you learn from it. The only thing that matters is the final product and that's where you need betas. If you can't get to that point, you've got something to work through.

3. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

I think you want people to look over your concept, and see what they think.

Truth is, there is no such thing as a bad concept, only bad writing. So you would have to come up with some sort of rough draft or revision.

Don't worry about whether it's good or not, just write the story

Richach, Cephus and StormbornT like this.
  4. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

I think it's possible as I do that kind of thing all the time, haha! Different methods work for different writers, and if you are the kind that has trouble with plotting or figuring out the direction a story should go, it may help to get some inputs on it before it becomes overwheming. I can take a look at it if you want, or, if you know a good story planner, ask if they are willing to take a glance. They may be able to point out things you either didn't notice in your current plot or give you ideas you hadn't considered before.

StormbornT and Rockatansky like this.
  5. StormbornT

StormbornT Member

Thanks!
    This will be my 5th or 6th "book", but my first time plotting. I feel like I run into so many issues being a pantser, so I wanted to try a little trial and error to avoid getting stuck like I usually do. I keep reading that plotting helps a lot with feeling stalled or running into dead ends while writing. What do you think about this?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  6. StormbornT

StormbornT Member

I've been writing for about 15 years on and off and STILL struggle with figuring out direction. It's at the point now where I'm a bit embarrassed because I feel like I should be doing better than this by now. I think there is either an issue with my brain and how I organize my thoughts, or I keep using the same terrible methods (which is basically me writing as I go with only a vague ending in mind).
    I wouldn't want to burden you, but if you don't mind I would very much appreciate it.

7. Cephus

I'm a die-hard plotter and I will have written 5 books this year alone. I see the same kind of complaints coming up with pantsers all the time. They don't finish things. It takes forever. They waste a lot of time. Now if it works for someone, by all means, go for it, but clearly, for a lot of people, especially on forums like this, it isn't working because they aren't finishing books. But that's just my opinion, so take it as you will.

StormbornT likes this.
  8. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Don't worry, a lot of writers struggle with this. Writing and storytelling are two different skill sets. Just like some people are good with math and some people are good with English, there's nothing wrong with being better at one thing vs another. Can you get better with practice? Yes. Do you have to force yourself to do it alone? No. If you need help, go get it whether it is through self learning or asking for advice. Just PM what you have and I can help take a look and give you some thoughts.

StormbornT and Rockatansky like this.
  9. StormbornT

StormbornT Member

For sure. I'm definitely getting to the point of doing away with my panster ways. I started working on a new project today, and ended up busting out 4K in an hour and a half...by writing to the loose outline I have now. I managed to finish an entire chapter without getting bored or skipping around like I usually do. It usually takes me two days without.
    I wish I would have tried outlining years ago. Kicking myself in the butt right about now.

Cephus likes this.
  10. StormbornT

StormbornT Member

Thank you so much. I've never really separated storytelling from writing. You make a very good point; thanks for pointing that out.
    I'll send along the outline for chapters 1-15 instead of the entire thing. Looking back, the entire outline is closer to 11 pages (so many bullet points).

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I'd be happy to take a look. Meesa a pantser, so I might even learn something, as well. :)

12. Cephus

People ask me how I do 5k a day minimum, but it works. I don't have to think about what's going on, I just have to write scenes. All of the hard work is done by the time I'm producing words.

13. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Sure, and if you have any background info on things like the purpose you're writing this and target audience, that would be great too.

14. StormbornT

StormbornT Member

Didn't manage to send anything out today. Had a few bumps in my day. I'll for sure try to get something out by the end of this week. Keep a look out, and thank you again!

15. StormbornT

StormbornT Member

Thank you. Look for something in your inbox by the end of this week. You and StoryForest are so nice for offering to help~~

Some Guy likes this.
  16. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

That depends. I think it can be worthwhile as it's much easier to point out any major flaws in a plot in 3 pages than 80,000 words. It can also be useful for first timers as well to see if they're setting their flow and pacing right. Betas have noticed plot holes for me in a synopsis that I had missed.

But the chances are, the finished project will look nothing like the original outline. So I do mostly think it is a waste of everyone's time. A very simple plot can make an amazing book if the writing is breath-taking.

17. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

Just send it to me. I'll take a look at your outline.