1. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

Your Username

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nervous1st, Apr 15, 2009.

Sorry if this has been done before, but I have noticed some interesting usernames around the site.

So I'm interested to know... what does yours mean? Where did it come from or is it just something random?

I'll start.

I am an active member of a parenting website which I joined when I found out I was pregnant.... hence 'nervous 1st.' Since I'm writing my first novel, I thought the same username was quite fitting here as well.

2. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Well my middle name is Lynn...and my girlfriend's middle name is Lynne. So that's how that one originated...we created it together.

~Lynn

3. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

I was watching some movie with Ben Aflack and Sam Jackson, I forget the name of it now. The end of the movie had one of Sam's AA buddy's saying to him "Some of us are addicted to coke, others to booze, but you, you are addicted to chaos." Somehow that triggered the thought of a person addicted to a counseling meeting and I've had it ever since then.

Notes, I have since attended Narcotics Anonymous and found that many people there claim that they are addicted to the meetings. So it has a partially truthful connotation.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A long time ago, I browsed a forum formed to discuss a TV series. I had plenty of theories on where certain plot fragments were leading. When I decided to join, I knew a lot of my posts would begin with "I think..."

Cogito is Latin for "I think", as in Descartes' famous Cogito ergo sum (I think, therefore I am), so that was the username I chose.

Some time later, I decided I wanted to resurrect my interest in writing. There was a link to this site on the forum for the TV series - Daniel created both sites - so I explored and joined this site, and kept the same username.

Since then, he sold the other site, and soon after I stopped posting there (I didn't like the changes in the site).

Contrary to what some people apparently think, my user name has nothing to do with the words incognito or cognition. There is no N in the name at all.

5. lessa

lessa New Member

I have always loved Dragons.
    So reading the Pern series of books.
    Lessa was in charge of the Dragons
    and got to ride them.
    I was hooked.
    So lessa is my name.

6. Trojan

Trojan New Member

"Trojan originally referred to a citizen of the city of Troy (Ilium) made legendary by the Trojan War (and Trojan Horse)."

7. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Kratos is a form of the greek Cratos, the god of strength. Which is cool.

Plus he's one of my favorite characters from one of my favorite video games, Tales of Symphonia.

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

My middle name is Lynn, too! :)

And I chose my username because I want to be a novelist, but am still working at it, so no one knows that I am yet...so it's hidden. I don't have a cool story behind it like everyone else seems to.

9. Suomyno

Suomyno Member

Suomyno is short for suomynona which is anonymous backwards. I thought it would be kinda cool.

10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Lemex the word is utterly meaningless. I think it stems from my want for anonymity - my wish to be known only by a moniker. Not as the person I am, but something that is neither me and entirely me at the same time.

11. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

No cool story behind mine. I was sitting in bed, about to fall asleep and it just came to me. I made it my email address a couple days later and tend to keep any and all of my s/n the same or some variation (for memory purposes). Nothing special. Just thought it was cool.

12. thetoadguy

thetoadguy New Member

Well, I like toads so thats why i called myself thetoadguy... Simple.

13. sophie.

sophie. New Member

mine is just my name

might change it..can you do that?

14. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

FMK is short for Fox McKalen, one of my characters. I may also publish under that name if I ever get to that step.

15. thegearheart

thegearheart New Member

My name comes from my podiobook, The Gearheart. If you want to listen, it's still ongoing.

I named the series that after I met a guy named Gearheart. I thought it was basically the coolest last name in existence, and I saw no reason to relegate it to phonebooks.

16. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

My name is Mercurial for a few reasons.

One, the definition of the word means something that is spontaneous, quick to change, unpredictable...
    I think that the word describes my personality very well, and it is also something I'm proud of; I feel like it makes me unforgettable --a real character. ;)

Also, Mercurial means that it is pertaining to the god of Mercury, and Mercury is eloquent, shrewd, swift, and has a gift for thievery. ;) Not all admirable traits but all traits I possess nonetheless as well.
    Also, the astrological sign Virgo, my sign, is ruled by the planet Mercury.

It just seemed to fit. :)

17. seymoore999

seymoore999 New Member

My maiden name is actually Weed. And when I got married it changed to Moore so I changed all my usernames everywhere on-line from lilcweed to seymoore. My first initial is "C" but I didn't like cmoore so for some reason I use seymoore. I wasn't really thinking about it when I set up my account. The 999 actually comes about because my husband thinks it's funny to put 666 at the end of all of his usernames so I put 999 as a thing with him. No we aren't weird devil people, it's actually just a mockery type thing. Too much irrelevant info??? :redface:

18. Brightsmiles

Brightsmiles New Member

Somewhere between the rabbit hole and wonderland.
    i'm the creator (and current admin) of a ttc/pregnancy/mothers message board and my original username for there was uniqesmile (spelt wrong on purpose) cause i like to smile a lot. but the name is strongly connected to my maternal side, which i wanted a little bit of distance from when writing, so switched to brightsmiles when i joined here. so it feels like an 'alterior identity' for me, but stayin true to my original 'internet' persona!

19. The Romanticist

The Romanticist New Member

my user name, the romanticist, has two meanings.

1.I recently discovered that I like writing romance novels.More than horror novels, which was a shock.

2.I'm a romantic. I love sunsets, waterfalls, a cool breeze on a warm night, the first snowfall etc.

20. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

My first initial and last name.

21. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

My original username her was ray_a_koooll..it's sort of become my evergreen trademark, and people often ask me why. I ignore them. The reason is rather silly actually. Back in 7th grade there used to be this girl on a tv show I was a fan of, her reel name was Anvesha Ray Banerjee....so I sort of joined this fansite of hers and I made my username, ray a kool, unfortunately for me I pressed o and l too many times. I had to pass through hell, and my friends still do, over the triple o double l stuff...but now, I'm stuck with it lol..I know stupid me.

As for my current username, well it's my name. It means, love and rain in Hindi and good in Arabic. It's a very common name actually, though it sounds beautiful, but I hate it. So I kind of liked being the only Neha around, so I requested Daniel to change it. lol, Selfish ain't I :p?

22. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

does that mean you write all your posts 'together' too?... ;-)

my username is a combo of my name [maia] and my 'title' as birth-mom to 7 and mentor-mom to thousands...

23. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

My user name here started out as a bit of a play on words (thinking about a rickety little sign, hanging from a piece of string on door - "gone fishing"... "wishing" is more appropriate for my door, though). Over time I cultivated a bit of an ethos around it, and the following appears occasionally on other profiles where I use the name:

"Gone wishing... For her and all those that change the shape of the world. For dreamers and all those that understand them. For the lost and all those that know how to find them. For the hurt and those that can heal them. Gone Wishing... for the moments that I am changed, understood, found and healed."

The "her" refers to my mother, who knew how to do all of the above. :)

24. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

It's the same penname I used to go by when I wrote fanfiction. Well, it was xink_slingerx, but the x's were really stupid and teenage of me, LOL. Honestly, I just like the title ink slinger. It has a nice ring to it. So for as long as I browse internet writing sites that'll be my username.

25. Credulous Skeptic

Credulous Skeptic New Member

Credulous Skeptic is a horrible, illogical name, and I'm ashamed it's my username. I wish I could change it.