1. Kas

Kas New Member

Landed an Editing & Writing Job With My #1 Idol In The World

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kas, Jun 12, 2012.

I'm still not sure if I believe it.

$350 cash in hand so far--still not sure if I believe it.

He wants me haul my keister to the U.S. after the book is published so I can appear on TV and radio shows with him.

Why does he hold me in such high regard and vice versa? Well, it's a long story. I'll keep it short. I have a ton of editing to do. o_O

Kit Summers changed my life at a time when my life needed changing, else I would not be here today. Reading of how he overcame his own tremendous obstacles--a master juggler, hit by a truck, suffering permanent brain damage and many broken bones, and then relearning everything from how to feed himself without sticking a fork in his eye to juggling again--gave me the courage/motivation/inspiration/whatever-it-was-I-needed to make the necessary changes in my own life.

A friend recently strong-armed me into making a facebook account. I've never been interested in facebook at all. I did it to shut him up.

Kit Summers searched his own name one day, out of idle curiosity, and found me. He asked if I had been born with the name. At first I didn't believe it was "the" Kit Summers who had messaged me. I checked him out and everything checked out.

"No, I was not born with this name. I legally changed it after reading your book! It completely changed my life.

I wanted to change my name originally because I was abused from infancy and into my teens. The psychological damage was such that every time I heard someone say my name, I would cringe and cower inside. So when it came time to change it legally, I took on your name, hoping to some day be worthy of it."

What a whirlwind of emotions I had experienced that day. Something tremendously horrible had happened right before that, but now I can't recall what it was. Guess it wasn't so bad.

Kit informed me of a new book he was working on and sent me a couple chapters to look at. It had excellent content, but the writing was rough. I told him I'd be happy to do some editing if he wanted.

He liked that idea.

I sent him some revised writing.

He liked that even more.

He wants me to edit the entire book, and even add some to the content.

My name is going to be on the book.

He says he "knows" this one will be a best-seller--that he knows the industry and has contacts to get us on national television and radio shows to promote the book.

Don't pinch me, please.

P.S.

You may have already figured it out, but K A S are my initials. My legal name is Kit A Summers. (You'll have to guess the "A.")

2. maidahl

maidahl Banned

Congratulations! I hope your book blows UP!

3. Kas

Kas New Member

Thanks.:) Though it's not technically "my" book, I do feel very much attached to it already, as if I had written it myself. The original Kit and I share such a like mind that I feel like a doppleganger of sorts.

This really is a life-changer in myriad ways. I am currently living on social assistance due to my present inability to hold a job (psychological issues still need some sorting out).

I presently look like a homeless bum. I don't really take care of myself properly, living on $600 per month and paying 500 of that in rent. To be honest, the prospect of appearing on Letterman or some such scares the living hell out of me. But at the same time, I am eager for the opportunity. With this much publicity, my own personal writing career will take off much easier than if I were to be a solo act. With my name on a best-seller--even if only as the editor--publishers are much more likely to actually read and consider what I send to them, as opposed to reading a few sentences and chucking it in the bin, as they usually do.

An email from Kit today:

"As things go further and further with this your writing career might just take off, your fiction and more. So, just plan now and prepare for success. Being on national talk shows you can really sell yourself."

Indeed.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Congratulations, Kit. But I'll be perfectly honest. I am a bit freaked out by the level of hero worship that would drive someone to change their legal name to match the name of that person.

Obviously, I don't know all the circumstances. My first impression could be quite wrong.

Just don't lose yourself in the process.

5. Bob Magness

Bob Magness New Member

Congrats. Also be careful, are you sure he won't mind you writing about this on a public forum?

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have the same concerns as cog and bob...

better check with your idol/employer before mentioning anything about this any more than you've done already... i'd even go so far as to strongly suggest you delete all you've written about the 'real' kit summers till you have his approval...

7. Kas

Kas New Member

Regarding the concerns, I understand them but think them misguided.

As far as the Kits are concerned, the more publicity the better, and the sooner the better.

This started with the original and soon became infectious to his doppleganger.

I will link this thread to him. Perhaps he would like to make an account here and explain things from his perspective. On the off-chance he does not approve, we will have the thread deleted. I don't think that will happen, though.

Cogito, replace "hero worship" with "respect" and your statement begins to sound slightly "off" somehow.;)

Alas, complicated stories are difficult to compact, and I would not like to use up too much time here as opposed to doing what I ought to be doing--editing.

Thanks all.:)

8. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

That's so freakin cool. ou ever find yourself coming up with the same ideas at the same time and stuff, lol?

I would love to be able to sit down with some of the people who inspired me. I wouldn't want to write or anything I'd just want to talk and get to know them, what they thought about things, what they thought about their writings and how they approached it. Must be like sitting right beside your guiding star. It's a one in a lifetime thing and I hope the experience rewards you in every way it can.

Too true :p

9. isityou

isityou New Member

The two Kits meet

Glad to be part of this forum. I am so glad my book, "Juggling with Finesse", helped change and add to the other Kit's life. I am so honored that Kit felt so strong about my book he took my name. After our initial contact I want him to help to edit my next book, a book that I am aiming toward hitting best-seller status.

Since the outline was written some years ago other things have transpired to add to it:
    1) My wife of 23 years left me and divorced me.
    2) I was hit by a truck, again, and much of my body broken.
    3) Had to spend a month in jail on a false charge.

Bye for now>>>>>Kit

10. Kas

Kas New Member

Some posts got deleted due to misunderstanding. I'm reposting a little bit in order to simply clarify what this thread was supposed to be about.

My intention was only to revisit a forum I had frequented not so very long ago to share a success story among old friends and other aspiring writers who might find it inspiring/interesting/exciting/encouraging/whatever.

This isn't part of any advertising plan. We're not marching about on forums and such or counting on any kind of publicity where identities can not even be 100% verified (note the original Kit's choice of name). This is the first and only forum I've posted on, and I only posted here because I figured some people may remember me and be tickled.

It's not often that writers on forums like these have good and relevant news to share. For that reason, I always enjoyed reading success stories of any kind.

Best wishes to all of you, and thanks again.:)