1. richardclayton53

richardclayton53 Member

Book Covers thoughts?

Discussion in 'Cover Design' started by richardclayton53, Apr 1, 2013.

Just a quick note about Book Covers really. I believe a few writers, especially those in the e-book business, seem to care less about the cover than they do the actual writing, relying on the strength of the writing to sell their books to the reader. But what is it that the reader sees first? Its always the cover! (oh and the Title too...!)

What are everyone elses thoughts on their book covers? Do you spend extra care on it, or just throw something together as an after thought? I love the quote: “Three aspects of a book make the greatest first impression on potential readers. The opening sentence, the title, and of course, the cover. If the cover art does its job well, it will portray the tone and genre of the book accurately—and help it stand out from its competition on the bookshelf.”

I very much agree with this statement. While the writing is undeniably important, and it is, the very first impression a reader gets from your book, will always always be the front cover. All of my own book covers have been created by an excellent Graphic Designer I know, in fact one I should know very well, she is after all my wife.

My covers can be viewed on my website, along with my full rambling thoughts on book covers...But if anyone is in the market for a good e-book cover then check out PickleLilly53, as she is more than happy to create a bespoke book covers at a very reasonable price!

But i would like to hear opinions on what others think of the Book Cover in the e-book market!

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

The book cover is important. In some respects, it's almost more important for an e-book because it's the only visual marketing piece you have. Of course, the writing has to be good, also, but it's not really an either/or. People love covers, and there are even lists of 'best covers of the year.' I even know that I will pick up a book because of its cover -- I won't necessarily purchase it or read it, but a good cover (with certain colors that draw me) will make me pick it up and see what it's about. If it's a book that I knew about already -- read a review, or had read an earlier book by the author or someone recommended it to me, the cover makes no difference -- even if I hate it, I won't refuse to buy it.

I did an experiment to see what it was that drew me to certain books, by going into bookstores a couple times and making a note of the books I was drawn to. Turns out for me, I liked books with blue covers. I don't know why. I also especially liked books that had darker/rich blue covers with several other bright colors on the cover for the words on the cover. I didn't like books with primarily grey, yellow, or tan covers. I'm curious what other people personally like in covers.

Also, I love the cover of this book and was close to buying it just because of it. I didn't though, because I just wasn't sure about the reviews, and had a bad feeling I'd never read it:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/030773997X/?tag=postedlinks04-20

3. Quille

Quille Member

I'm usually attracted to covers with anything purple in it, but then I'm attracted to everything purple :)

I don't know if it's changed and I'm not remembering the name, but it was a big deal a few years ago for an established author I know, to get artistic input for his covers. It was only input though, the marketing department had the final say.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

A book cover is a primarily marketing tool, in that its ojbective is catch a potential reader's attention and get the potential reader to look further.

There is a lot that goes into a good cover, incudling the cover art, title work, layout and more.

These days it seems the best covers are those that work well for a full-sized book, but also stand out positively as a thumbnail.

5. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I've been working hard on my covers this last year or so - redoing them as I feel the need. I think every author who publishes needs to.

My thought is that a book cover needs to do a number of things. First it must catch the eye, especially in thumbnail view for e-books. It must tell the reader something of what the book is about - perhaps show a scene. It must look professional, because the one thing you can be sure of is that if someone is checking out the book from a list and the cover looks amateur hourish, they are going to assume the same of the book. And it must display the name of the author and the book title clearly because otherwise many browsers who looked at the book and put off purchasing it for a little bit aren't going to be able to find it again.

Cheers, Greg.

6. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Oh boy, I wish I could say I'm not vain when it comes to book covers. Truth is I am terribly vain when it comes to book covers. If a book has a beautiful cover I automatically want to like it because I want pretty books on my shelves. I am a sucker for colorful things or even a couple colors that harmonize beautifully. I guess the marketing works well on me. I think book covers are pretty important because they really help to convey an unspoken message about the book. Art can speak to people on an almost universal level. The cover is also the first impression of a book before you even open it up. So, while I do adopt a 'don't judge a book by it's cover' attitude with people I can't say I have the same attitude when it comes to books. :p

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the six book collections of my philosophical writings that i pay to have printed so i can give them away all have covers i put together myself, to best reflect the books' content...

i would strongly recommend that anyone wanting total stranger to read what they've written aim for the same result, whether they can do it themselves, or have to pay to have it done...

feel free to email me if you want to see my covers...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

8. Terralala

Terralala New Member

I am the worst for going in to a book store and just picking out the ones that have pretty covers. I hate book covers with pictures of real people on them, unless it is a biography. I like covers to be simple with contrasting colours, I also tend to gravitate towards covers that are a little shiny. :p

9. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 New Member

What about the back cover and what other critics say about the book?

10. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Those are separate. That's additional information that I'll look at regardless of the cover. The cover itself is the visual marketing piece -- what will make me pick up a book that I otherwise know absolutely nothing about. It's the thing that people remember -- they remember seeing the book on display, and seeing other people reading it, on a bus, in the park, etc. It can make you think you're familiar with the book because, in effect, you are "recognizing" it.

The cover's colors and artwork are about getting into that underlying emotion and psychology that make people want to know more, or want to buy the book. The reviews and back of the book blurbs, while still an important piece of marketing, apply more to the logical/informational side.

11. Lotgrinder

Lotgrinder Member

Where can I find a digital artist? I tried deviant art but can't seem to find forums over there for job offers...

I need an artist right now.

12. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

for me, its as important, being someone who draws as well as writes, i can get ideas out in sketch form, which helps me with writing as it encompasses what i am trying to write... i use it when i have a 'block' to pull the plug and get ideas

13. Lotgrinder

Lotgrinder Member

I couldn't draw a square and make it look nice and neat.

I probably can't write either.

14. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Though originally i thought that the cover wasn't all that important, now that i think about it it is the first thing that will make me pick up a book. As i draw as well as write, i already have an idea as to how the covers will look if i can only get someone with skills using photoshop to help me out...

15. TLK

TLK Active Member

If my novel(s) were to be published, I'd be very fussy about the book cover since, like you say, it is the first impression most people get of a book and something that people will remember. For me, it'd be the same if I was a recorded artist, I'd be very particular about my Album Cover for much the same reason, although less of the former, I suppose.

To be honest, I always thought it was a little quirk I have, I'm glad other people feel the same way!

16. richardclayton53

richardclayton53 Member

Hi Lotgrinder,

My Wife is a Graphic Designer that creates bespoke book covers for e-books! Check out my website below for the work she has done for me, then if you are interested either drop me a PM on here or send me or her a quick email! She'll be glad to help!

Thanks!

17. Lotgrinder

Lotgrinder Member

Going to check it out. :)

18. psychotick

Hi again,

Just to add to those who feel guilty about liking good book covers - don't. It's human nature. We all like pretty things, whether it's products, people or books. Lets face it everything else being equal (and sometimes not) the pretty person will get the job, apartment and free drinks at a bar. We want to buy the best product be it a car or a blender, but often end up buying the one that appeals. And then of course, we try to justify it.

One example for me would be cars. I know I need a car that's reliable, fuel efficient, the right price, practicable etc. But If I had the money I'd buy a Jaguar which is none of those things. I'm shallow like everyone else, but I'm not going to feel bad about it. In the end I'm just human.

Cheers, Greg.

19. psychotick

Hi again,

Just to add to those who feel guilty about liking good book covers - don't. It's human nature. We all like pretty things, whether it's products, people or books. Lets face it everything else being equal (and sometimes not) the pretty person will get the job, apartment and free drinks at a bar. We want to buy the best product be it a car or a blender, but often end up buying the one that appeals. And then of course, we try to justify it.

One example for me would be cars. I know I need a car that's reliable, fuel efficient, the right price, practicable etc. But If I had the money I'd buy a Jaguar which is none of those things. I'm shallow like everyone else, but I'm not going to feel bad about it. In the end I'm just human.

Cheers, Greg.

20. Ubrechor

Ubrechor Active Member

I would always look through the pages of a book before deeming it worthy of reading. I'd never go by the cover. But the cover is important! It provides an implicit interest, which is no less significant than the opening lines of the novel itself. So yeah, I think good book covers are an essential aspect of the books themselves. Imagine a library where every book cover was plain white, with Times New Roman font on the front detailing the title and author.

I sure wouldn't like that.