1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Philadelphia Independent Writers Conference

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Catrin Lewis, May 8, 2018.

I've seized the opportunity and signed up to attend the 2nd annual Independent Authors Conference in Philadelphia this coming November.

Cheap half-price tuition if you sign up by the end of this coming Friday the 11th was one incentive. The idea of going back to Philly was another--- I lived there a couple of years straight out of college and still love the place, even though as an adopted Pittsburgher I'm not supposed to admit that.

But the biggest draw will be Joanna Penn as the keynote speaker. And, as she has said on her podcast, this will be the last public appearance she will do, for a long time, at least. It simply takes too much out of her. I didn't want to miss hearing her in person, and I'm promising myself I won't fangirl and help wear her out, even if she's been nice enough to respond to my tweets on Twitter.

If the description of last year's conference is any indication, it should be useful and worth the gas money and turnpike tolls. The interesting thing, though, will be seeing how involved BookBaby will be. It's no secret they're the sponsors, or that they believe indie authors can benefit by their services. But how omnipresent will they be, and will the workshops and seminars be geared toward pushing you into their fold?

Don't know. We'll see. I seriously doubt Joanna's speech will be a BookBaby rah-rah, and what I've heard from last year, even from the BB president, hasn't been that.

And frankly, if a service like that is affordable and helps me get what I want in the way of covers and formatting now that I've established a brand prototype, more power to them.

Who else is going to conferences and conventions this year? Where? And who's speaking?

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    jannert likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I can't afford the air fare or justify the time. I'm hopefull she will still speak at some uk events, she only lives abut 45 miles north of me.

Ref book baby they are only just not a vanity publisher, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole personally. ( the reason I don't class them as a vanity scam is they are honest about what you get for your money.... As far as I can see it's all stuff an author could do or arrange themselves so I'm not seeing a usp, but I suspect it will appeal to those with more money than time)

3. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

@big soft moose-- (Wonders) Which is longer, a barge pole or a punt pole? And would a punt pole be long enough?

I've been working on the formatting of my novel (print and ebook) since last October. That includes a lot of editing/textual changes along the way and a whole lot more fighting with file corruption and software learning curve issues. Also finding the right scene-separator fleurons and generating the chapter head fonts I want on Calligraphr.com. If I could find someone who could do the formatting for me for a reasonable price, that would be worth looking into. Not BookBaby necessarily, but somebody.

But maybe now that I know what can go wrong I can produce my next novels a lot faster.

As for the conference itself, I'm excited. At the moment I'm keeping the cost down with a reservation in a hostel a few blocks from the venue hotel . . . a bed in a two-bunkbed women's dorm, college dorm type bathroom, and a shared kitchen and common room. And free WiFi, which is more than what they offer at the venue hotel. It'll be interesting, because the hostel's clientele seems to be pretty young, and I ain't, not anymore. But it's cheap.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

A barge pole was used originally for propelling canal barges round corners and such to assists the horses towing them, and into the bank when mooring. It would be longer and thicker than a punt pole.

On the formatting I used draft to digital (who I also use for distro) there's no specific charge for formatting, but their overall service is free at point of use but costs 15% of net royalty (ie about 10% of cover price) - they will allow a free book (which means they are essentially providing service free).

The other option would be vellum which costs $249 one off cost ($199 ebook only) - It'll be worth it on an author career with more than one book, but i'm not going there until Ive made at least that much (I downloaded it to play with - you don't pay until you want to output a file)

I can't imagine doing my own formatting with HTML - id rather spend the time writing or marketting