1. Prodigy

Prodigy New Member

Any good books?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Prodigy, Oct 25, 2008.

I'm looking for some good books to read. Does anyone know of any? Maybe something actiony.

2. kehl

kehl New Member

I don't read very many action books, but if you want a good laugh you can read "Naked" by David Sedaris. "Stories from the South" is a great anthology. With stories ranging from comedy to drama and, I think, some action.

3. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

Anything by Jack Vance. Good writing PLUS action and lots of it. For realistic historical fantasy fiction (yes: realistic historical fantasy fiction) I recommend his "Lyonesse" series.

If you like sci-fi futuristic fantasy: The Dying Earth series, or the five book "Demon Princes" series. The Demon Princes saga kept me enthralled. It was difficult to find the last two books in the series and I was very frustrated at that. I think that Mr. Vance deserves a much greater readership among young people than he currently has. (Not that I'm accusing you of being "young", of course!)

If you just want real-time real-world action with good writing, then: Stephen King, of course. I think Mr. King is underrated as an action writer--he makes it look so easy, that most people don't even realize the sheer degree of action in most of his tales.

I hope this was helpful. yours in Chaos, Scarlett

4. Redsrock

Redsrock New Member

Tommyknockers, by Stephen King. My favorite book ever. It's not action as in, say, a war movie or whatever. But it's magnificently written.

5. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I have to thow this out.

I read the coolest and weirdest superhero novel a few days ago called "Playing for Keeps" by Mur Lafferty. The story was freaking awesome and is about people with super powers but there powers are considered useless. They end up in a fight with the heroes and the villains and kick some major butt.

I recomend this one for those who like superhero novels and Just noves that are not stereotypical.

6. JGraham

JGraham New Member

Read "State of Fear" By Michael Crichton. It is an awesome book with good action. Otherwise anything else by Crichton is good, Prey, Jurassic Park, Congo, Next. All of his are good choices.

7. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I really enjoyed the Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
    Actually, that book was pretty amazing. It's fantasy based (good heaps of action though) and if you can get passed the random made up bits (some people love 'em, some people hate 'em) it's a really entertaining yarn!

Highly recommened 5/5 :p