1. pensmightierthanthesword

pensmightierthanthesword Member

Shirley Jackson Could Make a Snowflake Scary

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by pensmightierthanthesword, Feb 20, 2017.

Say what you will about Stephen King, the guy's a great author, but the few stories I've read of Shirley Jackson's that lady can take a simple drama or comedy and make it ominous. Stephen King is an outstanding horror writer but he does not compare to Shirley Jackson in my opinion. The Daemon Lover is my favorite of her stories but some may know her from The Lottery, The Haunting of Hill House (which I still have not read), and We Have Always Lived in the Castle (which I have also not read). I'm slowly progressing (because of my OCD) through The Lottery and Other Stories, an omnibus of her short works. Has anyone read any of Shirley Jackson's works? What do you think of her writing?

ajaye likes this.
  2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

If you like Jackson and haven't read We Have Always Lived in the Castle and The Haunting of Hill House, you should get on those. I like her short stories, but those are her best works

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I hear that. Stephen King is one of my favorites but his shit isn't "important." You're not going to question life or your own humanity after reading his stuff, but Shirley Jackson will.

4. Abiyoyo

Abiyoyo New Member

The remarkable thing about Shirley Jackson is her ability to write how people think; I remember being especially struck by this when reading Haunting of Hill House (which was the first thing of hers I read). A wonderful writer, and often most disturbing. But I like that.